Question about Panasonic NN-S541 Microwave Oven

Open Question

Microwave oven-popping sound and smells of electrical smoke

My microwave oven is making a popping sound and it smells of electrical smoke after I turn it off. What could be causing it?

Posted by on

6 Suggested Answers

MicrowaveSvc
  • 8820 Answers

SOURCE: faint buzzing sound smoke coming from back

The high-voltage transformer (or inverter transformer) has probably failed.

Due to the lethal voltages used and produced, I do not recommend that an inexperienced person work on these.

I would recommend that you contact your nearest Panasonic-authorized servicer.

You can find one here:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vServiceLocator?storeId=15001

Posted on Nov 05, 2007

  • 13 Answers

SOURCE: ge microwave oven wall smelling wire burn!!!!

time to put it to rest

Posted on Jan 02, 2009

rickzilla
  • 706 Answers

SOURCE: is the microwave possibly dangerous after it popped & now smells

Hello jeffnlaur,
The sound you heard could be any number of things but I would attempt to verify the basic preformance of the microwave was ok by placing a cup of water in the cooking compartment and switching the micro on for about 2 minutes.. The water should be close to or at a boil after this time ( depending on glass type and power output of oven). Listen for any other irregular sounds while it is running. You may have heard something in the soup pop or some of the electronics within the micro arc but it may not mean it is dangerous. Try the water test first and if it continues to exibit internal noises and burning a burning smell, I would discrad the oven. Table top models are very inexpensive and the cost to diagnose and repair would probably exceed the cost to replace,
In terms of dangerous, there are safety devices to cut off power to the magnetron and other components if warranted. Not sure that helps you but with limited info from your side, diagnostics are 'iffy' at best..
Regards
Rick

Posted on Jan 09, 2009

jmgldsmth
  • 1869 Answers

SOURCE: Kenmore over the range microwave 721.63684300 - nothing works

you must remove the MW take off the cover then look for a large metal can (capacitor) and a white (ceramic) fuse...look and, smell and, you should find the cause

Posted on Apr 22, 2009

ginko
  • 19396 Answers

SOURCE: when microwave wss turned on, there was no heat but smoke

Test the high voltage capacitor, the rectifier diode.or the magnetron. If all this are fine, test the control board.

If it additionally does not spin and no light, then check also the door switch and fuse.

The diode and capacitors can br tested. The capacitor must be allowed discharge before testing, or you risk to get electrocuted, even if power is off. Capacitors can get discharged by shorting their two contacts.
Replace the magnetron if the checks and all of the high voltage component tests are good, but the unit still does not heat.

All locations, and description of this parts can be located using the diagram here: Counter top.

Parts must be tested to find out what is wrong.

Remember that microwaves are potentially dangerous devices if not repaired properly, the job must be done by a competent person.
A microwave energy leakage test must always be performed when the oven is serviced for any reason.

Regarding parts, contact the seller here to purchase parts. (here in UK).

Posted on Apr 27, 2009

  • 1 Answer

SOURCE: There was a pop then an electrical wire smell Now microwave heats poorly and the wire smell reoccurs.

internal fuse blew and the capacitor just fried

Posted on May 27, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Heard a pop and then an electrical smell. Unit is working but a faint electrical smell occurs each time unit used. Should I continue using it? It is built in with a trim kit.


No that is a very dangerous situation. What is sounds like is you had a short that blew apart but not completely damaging the wires. You should unplug, and open it if its out of warranty and inspect the wires. If the wires are partially burned it can heat up and cause an electrical fire.

May 19, 2010 | Panasonic NN-S541 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

We have white


there is a component called a spatter gard inside the oven at the point where the microwaves enter......if food or other foreign substance gets stuck there, then it will start to burn ...the smell and popping noise is coming from the spatter gard.....to fix it you must remove the spatter gard..replace it if it's burnt and /or sand paper the spot clean and then paint the area with a high temperature paint called mr. touch up......to protect the bare metal from the microwaves.....hope that helps

Nov 27, 2009 | Kenmore 80412 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Limited heat power


It sounds like the transformer is shorting out on you but is not completely shorted.It will be shorting out on the output side of the transformer.this will give you a lower output level,and will cause the microwaves to be weaker.(less turns of wire in the secondary of the transformer).The short will probably get worse.Simply replacing the transformer should cure the microwave.

Jun 23, 2009 | Kenmore 63682 / 63684 / 63689 Microwave...

1 Answer

Kenmore over the range microwave 721.63684300 - nothing works


you must remove the MW take off the cover then look for a large metal can (capacitor) and a white (ceramic) fuse...look and, smell and, you should find the cause

Apr 02, 2009 | Kenmore 63682 / 63684 / 63689 Microwave...

1 Answer

Microwave died and started spewing smoke


Sorry but it sound like a component in the power circuit, transformer/capacitor/diode?.
if you feel capable to do the testing I can guide you

Feb 22, 2009 | Emerson MW8168B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Intermittant loud "pop" when starting my microwave


Clean well the inside of the oven, if you keep having the problem and the inside is clean, then the magnetron is starting to go.

Jan 28, 2009 | GE Microwave Ovens

3 Answers

Microwave smokes and smells like burning plastic


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

heatman101

Jan 25, 2009 | Kenmore 64663 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Loud pop with smoke


Don't know why just plugging it into a new outlet would cause that unless you have a problem with that outlet. Sounds like it may have burned out the low voltage circuitry. I would advise having the outlet checked and certified safe before plugging anything else into it. Also, it sounds like the oven is toast, (Sorry!)
You can get parts on-line from AppliancePartsPros.com/Parts

May 23, 2008 | Emerson MW8107WA Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Maytag microwave mmv1153aaw


my guess would be the wave cover. sometimes they smoke and makes sparking sounds. does it still heat food?...if it does, then its not the magnetron.

Feb 18, 2008 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Panasonic NN-S541 Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

218 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Panasonic Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Panasonic Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...