Question about Microsoft Computers & Internet
I have encrypted some folders and inside data files few month ago. But 15 days ago I have reinstalled OS on the system because of some intermitent problems but I forgot to decrypt data files folder which I have encryped before. Now when I'm trying to open my documents or simply unselect "Encrypted contents to secure data" I'm geeting error.
Please help me to retrive all my data files.
Since you reinstalled the OS, the certificate for the user has changed. You can try the following methods, but there is no guaranty it will work.
These method apply only if the computer name and users name stays the same as the original. If the machine name or the users name or the users privilege changed, these method will not work.
Only the following people can decrypt an encrypted file:
· The user who encrypted the file
· Any user who was designated as a recovery agent before the file was encrypted
· Any user who has the public key or private key for the recovery agent or the user who originally encrypted the file
· Any user who has been granted access to the file
Members of the Administrators group cannot decrypt files unless the person who encrypted the files designated them as recovery agents before encrypting the files.
Note You must be the original user who encrypted the file or a designated recovery agent for the file to follow these steps
To remove encryption from a file, follow these steps:
1. Use Windows Explorer to locate the encrypted file that you want to decrypt.
2. Right-click the encrypted file, and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab, click Advanced.
4. Click to clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box, click OK, and then click OK again.
Posted on Dec 02, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 21, 2015 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Apr 08, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Mar 28, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Mar 07, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Oct 24, 2009 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Sep 18, 2009 | Microsoft Windows 98 for PC
May 19, 2009 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional With...
Dec 17, 2008 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional With...
265 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!