I have had a similar problem numerous times, a couple of which required
manoeuvreing it into a place I could work on it, and a laborious
removal of the covers. Each time, up until this current incident, the
solution that worked, at least temporarily, was quite simple. The
recurrent problem was at least consistent: every 6-8 months I would
find that the pump would work but the spray arm was not moving. The
solutions always seemed to be something different: once all I
needed to do was to prime the pump, other times it seemed like calcium
and lime build-up was clogging up the parts so a little C.L.R. got me
on my way.
This most current incident was more baffling, as my standard solutions
did not work. However, I think I finally got to the root of the
Look inside the dish compartment, to the right, near the top. There
are two little nubby holes. Their function is to allow air to
enter/exit either the spray arm pump tubing or the water filling tubing. Remove the one zillion screws from the cover to access the innards. Pull off the tubing and unscrew the washer (it will be tight due to the sealant on it). Upon inspection, I found that the air hole for the spray arm pump was clogged with food residue. A tiny screwdriver will clear things out nicely - you should be able to
see through it. If you clear it out a little but, but still can't see
through it, then I presume you're just going to have the same problem
It is important that this be clear so that the water can displace the air while filling is occurring and allow for good suction. Actually, it looked like a manufacturing flaw - there was still some residual plastic from the original molding on the inside, and food was getting caught on it.
Danby 22 in....
on Oct 31, 2014