Question about Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven
Whirlpool gold accuwave microwave oven.
My wife hit the cook button instead of the timer button (~3 minutes). Microwave was empty. Unit started to make noise and then started to smell. Turned unit off. Opened the door to check inside for damage nothing evident. Took a cup of water to put in the unit to see if it was functional. When the 1 minute button was pushed - all power went off. Checked the circut break and unplugged the system. No power to the system
Hello Davisaroundt, we are sorry to hear about your Microwave not powering on. If you would like for us to schedule service for you, then can you please email your address, phone number, the model and serial number, the website you were contacted on, Fixya, your review ID, and date of purchase to Whirlpool_Digital@whirlpool.com?
Posted on Jun 16, 2017
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Sounds like you just fried your magnetron. Normally when they go bad, they make a very loud noise like what you described. The smell concerns me because you may have ruined the waveguide as well. If the magnetron burns through the protective painted surface of the waveguide, the waveguide is ruined. In most microwave ovens this means replacing the entire unit because the waveguide is not replaceable. Putting a new magnetron in a damaged waveguide will result in the same arcing and eventual failure. In addition to the magnetron, the following components are part of the same high voltage network: HV Transformer HV Diode HV Capacitor Magnetron Thermal Cut-Out Any one of these components could have also been damaged. I DO NOT recommend taking any voltage measurements inside the HV network. Potentials of over 4000 volts can be reached and make it very dangerous for the do-it-yourselfer. Taking resistance readings with the unit unplugged is strongly encouraged. If you decide to pursue a repair, inspect the magnetron tip and inside of the waveguide first. If the magnetron is melted and/or there are burn marks inside the waveguide, a new microwave may be a in order. This actually may be a better option than an expensive repair. I hope you find this advice helpful.
Posted on Jul 31, 2007
This is a problem with the control panel assembly, which we repair nationwide for $32.50 postpaid. Sometimes the bulbs short when they fail, and that damages the control board. This also can happen when bulbs are removed or installed without first unlugging the oven or turning off the breaker. For critical safety & disassembly info and other details of our service, see http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
Posted on Jan 16, 2007
SOURCE: Whirlpool Microwave MH6130XEB
If it's the cooling fan inside the main body of the microwave, I would suspect an open thermistor / temperature sensor. If it's the vent fan (for the grille across the top) then I would suspect the hood thermostat is shorted. The oven should have a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) inside, usually in the control panel frame behind the door open button. It shows these parts and how to test them. If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
Posted on Jun 26, 2007
The symptoms you are describing are typical of a magnetron that has gone bad. Continuing to attempt to use the oven in its current condition can cause further damage. So, I would recommend not using it. Microwave ovens are considered dangerous and repairs should not be attempted by anyone that is not electronic saavy. The High Voltage Network inside the oven has voltage potentials of 14,000 volts and higher. If you feel this is something you wish to attempt, the Magnetron part number is 1156751 and costs approx. $158. Keep in mind, if the magnetron has been arcing and making a burning smell you may have burned the protective coating that lines the walls of the waveguide. If the waveguide is damaged it is not repairable. I do not know if this is a replaceable item on your model microwave. Double check your warranty information and/or owner's manual. In many cases the magnetron is warranted for several years beyond the limited warranty that comes with most appliances. Post back with comments and let me know if you want me to assist you further. In addition, if you provide me with your EXACT model number (located along the door opening) I can narrow down parts a little better. I know this all sounds discouraging, but I do hope I have been able to help you.
Posted on Jan 15, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 03, 2016 | Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven
Mar 23, 2017 | Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven
May 04, 2012 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
Mar 24, 2012 | Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven
May 31, 2011 | Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven
Mar 24, 2011 | Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....
Basic Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Tips
Jan 21, 2011 | Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven
Jan 12, 2010 | Whirlpool GH5184XPQ Microwave Oven
May 19, 2009 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven
541 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: