I have an HP LaserJet 2430dtn and recently upgraded the firmware (after an email from HP) and now I have nothing but trouble. I keep getting a service error 49 FFO4. I've tried just about everything, cold reboot, reinstall the firmware upgrade, reboot without network cable, changed the network cable, called HP, etc. HP was a total waste of time, the tech just didn't have a clue! Anymore ideas? Next I'll take out the memory mods and try again. I hope somebody else has an idea. I read on another HP LaserJet, the 4600 series, they said to ''turn off the ram disk'', can't find where my model has a ram disk. thx in advance.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Service Error 49 FF04
A 49 error is a firmware error, it might be caused by the firmware itself, or by the failure of a printer module.
How to isolate the cause:
- Verify that the problem is not being caused by a specific job, this error can be caused by bad information being sent to the printer. - Power off and remove any installed EIO devices, (JetDirect Cards, Hard Drives), power on and test.
Cold Reset the printer:
- Power off, remove any optional memory, power on and retest. - Power off and reseat any memory and firmware modules on the formatter board, power on and test. - Power off, reseat the formatter board, power on and test.
Check firmware version: on newer machines with flashable firmware upgrade to the latest version. If you are running the latest version reload it, this might fix corrupted firmware. (Some printers have flashable firmware, others use a Firmware DIMM which must be replaced to upgrade.)
If you haven't found the cause yet it's time to start swapping parts:
- Firmware module if it's a DIMM as opposed to being part of the formatter. - Memory if installed, some printers have to have at least one memory module installed to run, and it must have enough capacity to function, in some cases installing a module that does not meet the minimum requirements of the machine will cause a 49 error
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I think you are since the dc controller only controls paper movement and nothing else. A 49 error is a firmware error and has many causes from applications, network and just defective formatter. If the errors occurs with the printer not connected to anything, then the formatter would be the logical issue if the firmware has been updated. Keep in mind having a jet direct card in the slot can cause the error, so the only true way to test is with everything removed with the exception of firmware, memory and power. Also keep in mind that if the 4250/4350 series power is derived from the lvps and not the dc controller. Also with this model the embedded jet direct card is known to occasionally have issues. When you upgrade the firmware for the formatter it also upgrades the firmware on the embedded nic card. Again the only true way to test would be to disable the embedded nic card on powerup.
49.XXXXX ERROR A critical firmware error has occurred.
1. Press Cancel Job to clear the print job from the printer memory. 2. Turn the printer off, and then turn the printer on again. 3. Go to http: www.hp.com/support/lj2410, www.hp.com/support/lj2420, or www.hp.com/support/lj2430. Click Download Drivers and Software. Check for the latest firmware image version at the bottom of the page. If this firmware image is newer than the one installed on the printer and the printer can receive a firmware update, download the newer firmware upgrade. Not all printer models can receive firmware upgrades. 4. Try printing a job from a different software program. If the job prints, go back to the first program and try printing a different file. If the message appears only with a certain software program or print job, contact the software vendor for assistance.
1. After performing the actions listed in the preceding item, if the message persists when using different software programs and attempting specific print jobs, disconnect all cables that connect the printer to the network or a computer. 2. Turn the printer off. 3. Remove all memory DIMMs and thirdparty solutions from the printer. 4. Remove all of the EIO devices from the printer. 5. Turn the printer on. 6. If the error message disappears, reinstall each DIMM, Compact Flash card, and EIO device one at a time, making sure to turn the printer off and then on again (booting to the Ready prompt) as you install each device. To replace a DIMM, see Appendix D - Printer memory and expansion in the LaserJet 2400 Series User Guide. 7. Replace the DIMM or EIO device that caused the error message. 8. Remember to reconnect all of the cables that connect the printer to the network or computer. 9. If the error message persists, reinstall the firmware with the latest possible firmware upgrade. Go to http:www.hp.com/support/lj2410, www.hp.com/support/lj2420, or www.hp.com/support/lj2430. Click Download Drivers and Software. Check for the latest firmware image version at the bottom of the page. If this firmware image is newer than the one installed on the printer and the printer can receive a firmware update, download the newer firmware upgrade. Not all printer models can receive firmware upgrades. 10. Replace the formatter
The printer is telling you that it encountered a critical firmware error. The first thing to do is go to www.hp.com. Select "drivers and support" Enter your printer model. Enter your Operating System. Find the latest Firmware available and download it. Read the "Read Me" instructions carefully, and install the upgrade. This is the first thing to do.
No problem all the way from Wales UK for you.
I have put a PDF files on my website for you to download. Just click on the links it will download for you. It got all you need to know in this file. You can read it on site and print it strait off the website or save it to your PC then print it out. Click LINK= http://www.4all2sell.com/pdf/HP-2410-2420-2420d-2420dn-2430dtn-Manual.pdf You will need a adobe reader to see this file If you not got an Pdf reader you can download it off this link free. http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/ Please come back and just gave a vote, it will gave me some satisfaction to know am helping some one so I will keep on helping.
All The Best: Pineworks
Go to http: www.hp.com/support/
lj2410, www.hp.com/support/lj2420, or
Download Drivers and Software.
Check for the latest firmware image
version at the bottom of the page. If
this firmware image is newer than the
one installed on the printer and the
printer can receive a firmware update,
download the newer firmware
if this fix does not work try removing memory from machine turn machine on see if issue perssist turn machine off replace memory one piece at a time (if you have more than one installed) testing printer each time if you put in one stick and it works then you put in the second and it doesnt the second stick would be the problem piece.. but usually on this machine upgrading the firmware will solve this issue.