Sharp R-1500 Microwave Oven Logo

Question about Sharp R-1500 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sharp R-1500 range lights

My 2 over-the-range bulbs will not stop burning out. They rarely last more than a month or two. I always stay within the recommended wattage (no more than 30) and I even tried lower 20W bulbs, with no change. Why do these bulbs burn out? Thanks, Fri 805

Posted by fri805 on

Ad

1 Answer

William Miller

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Sharp Master
  • 9,179 Answers

Are any other bulbs in the home going out prematurely? If so, I would check the actual voltage of your power outlets. If not, the bulbs may be getting grease or debris on them from stovetop cooking. This can cause hot psots and premature failure. I recommend wiping them clean with alcohol on a cloth before installing them. I recommend that folks always have their hood fan on when cooking on the stovetop. Also, you might check with a local home center (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) to see if they have some high-quality (non-Chinese) substitutes.

Posted on Sep 23, 2007

Ad

Add Your Answer

×

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

0helpful
1answer

What light bulbs are for a Sharp R-1502 carousel microwave?

Hi,I would try (www.espares.co.uk),you can put the model in and it should give you the right lamp for your microwave,all the best.
1helpful
1answer
0helpful
1answer

Kenmore Microwave 721.66339 burning electrical smell coming from back. Six month old oven

I have this same problem with a similar Kenmore elite, it tested good when I bought last week, heated a cup of water to boiling in 70 seconds or so. I used to help rive around my next door neighbor who was a microwave repairman, I learned what went wrong with them and typical fixes. Back then there was only 1 brand being sold the Amana Radar range which sold for well over $1000 for the cheapest models. They had no sensors like they do now. Only a few things could go wrong with them making them simple to make money off repairs. So I do know my way around a microwave, I sell 4 or more a month and repair maybe 1 or 2 a month. But this one has me stumped. I took a look inside and cleaned the grease off the cover right away as I always do. I also had to repair a few tabs that hold the panel and top cover piece. .after the cleaning I reassembled it and tested it again. It worked fine. Then 2 days later I found the missing platter for it and went ahead and cooked a frozen macaroni and cheese family sized dinner to give it an official test to see if I should just keep it and sell my current oven. After 5 minutes it seemed like it was cooking kind of slow. It was in my garage during this so I didn't notice any smells till I checked on it. It should have been completely thawed but not hot yet (if it was in my 17 year old GE) so I turned the dial to cook a frozen dinner and not just times cook. I watched it and that's when I smelled the burnt plastic smell, strong on the right side. But that's also where the light bulb is, that bulb only comes on when the oven is cooking?
I put may face closer to see inside and only saw the bulb, I took it apart and tested everything and the only issue I found was the humidity senor is reading low resistance by about ? of what it should be. This would not account for any burning smells since it's on the left and only tells the oven how the food is cooking. It would either keep cooking longer or say it's done before it really is depending on how the resistance is read by the cpu connected to that sensor.
the diode checked fine, the hf cap is fine, the transformer was good, the magnitron was not shorted and tested within the speced ohms range. Ok controls work and I can set it to run at different heat settings without any problems. I can hear it kick in a run for 50% when I set it to that setting, but it still isn't even getting a cup of water hot now. All wires are connected good, the entire board works properly, the readout and button select and work. I haven't tried the fan yet. I'm going to check it out but I did doin it by hand when the forget was off and it spins freely. I don't have an extra humidity sensor to test it but I'll get one very soon and report back here. I was hoping that this was a problem that was specific to my model and hoped to find the quick answer but this is a common problem in general which seems to have only one typical response provided by every single person but a select few. The answer given 95% of the time is buy a new oven! That's not the answer to fixing the oven. I'm pretty sure that anyone who comes here looking for a solution isn't hoping that 9 out of 10 answers will be buy a new one or they would not be here in the first place, they'd be out buying another oven that will likely break even quicker than the last one that they are dealing with fir the first time after 15 years. New microwaves are junk, I fix more ovens that are 5 years or less old. I sell ovens from the 1980s that still work perfectly! Every Samsung is junk and every sharp and magichef are still going strong 30 years later. It's because the magnetron is built using pure elements and not made by Deawoo or Toshiba, that's why Panasonic's last so long too, they aren't using substandard parts to make their expensive ovens. This really has become a race to the bottom when it comes to making new appliances these days. All are built with end of life factored in, at least until they figure out that they can no longer cheaply mine those elements needed and find a new way to make things using even poorer substitutes.

ill post my findings as soon as I get this figured out it can't be that hard, there's only a handful of components that can burn or give off any smell at all I suspect it's the light bulb and there's something else unrelated that's dying. My guess is the magnetron or the transformer is faulty even though they read within ohms specs. Magnetron made by Toshiba, I've replaced many toshiba on deawoo magnetrons.
0helpful
1answer

On our Panasonic the genius sensor 1200w microwave the bulb burned out so replaced. After replaced turned light switch on both bulbs turned on and right away one bulb burned out and now the switch will not...

Mine burned out within a month. Probably due to the poor design of the machine which forces you to slam the door to get it to shut.
My biggest concern is the under counter lightbulbs it has burned out in my kitchen over the last year. I wonder how much leaking this thing really gives off. Moving in a few weeks and will be throwing this cancer machine out.
0helpful
1answer

Work light switch not working

We see (and repair) this a lot. The problem is on the control panel, which we regularly repair nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid in about a week or so.

This light failure often occurs when a bulb goes out and the filament shorts, or when the bulbs are removed or installed without first unplugging the oven from the power line. Either can cause such a failure on the controller.

This can often also affect the exhaust fan, cooling fan, turntable, and/or inside light operation, too.

Details of our service are at our Web site, along with a video showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes or you can see the service manual at our site here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

William E. Miller
[email protected]
http://www.microwavedisplay.com
1helpful
3answers

One surface light bulb on GE Profile microwave keeps burning out

I have the same problem. The left one burns out within a couple of hours use, the other one lasts a couple of months and is then gone. This pattern has repeated over 8 years. I replace them every now and then and then just go without until I get the urge again to fix it. Maybe smaller lower wattage lamps are worth trying...
2helpful
1answer

40 watt night light bulbs constantly burn out short out.

Is they are left on all the time, this can reduce their life, and they are more susceptible to vibration.

Have you checked at home center or home improvement centers like Lowe's, Builder's Square or Home Depot?

You can order quality parts such as lamps by entering your full model number or part number WB36X10003 here.

Always be sure the microwave is unplugged or the breaker is off when installing or removing bulbs, and be sure the bulbs and and your hands are clean when installing them.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
20helpful
4answers

BLEW A FUSE ?

Beware of this place, microwavedisplay.com. Of late, some are seeing very long turn around times. They don't respond to emails or answer the phone. See http://www.whoila.com/blog/?p=725 for some recent experiences.
0helpful
1answer

MH1140XMS Oven Stays On

.
Right, but I wondered if you might want the OLD broken board fixed, too, as a backup? Keep it in mind, It's only $39.95.
0helpful
2answers

Unit does not turn off

open the control push boton and clean it one of the boton stoct.
Not finding what you are looking for?

136 views

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sharp Microwave Ovens Experts

Ekse

Level 3 Expert

13435 Answers

Oloyede Monsuru

Level 3 Expert

1468 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

6473 Answers

Are you a Sharp Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...