Question about Maytag MMV5156AAS Microwave Oven
Our microwave stopped heating up items. It is making an odd humming noise and has a burning order when running. Would it be cheeper to fix it or replace it?
It's possible you have a bad connection on your control panel, but it sounds more like a bad high voltage transformer or a bad magnetron. The cost of having a servicer replace either of those would come close to or above cost of many new microwaves. Labor would probably be around $50 (in shop) to about $80 (in home). A new mag or transformer can easily top $100. It of course depends on the features you would want it a new microwave. Good luck.
Posted on Oct 20, 2006
There is a diode inside of microwave
Posted on Oct 28, 2007
With the symptoms you
have, I would most strongly suspect a shorted high voltage rectifier
diode or a bad magnetron, or a loose and possibly corroded connection on the magnetron's terminal.
The diode is a fairly cheap fix, and the mag will cost more.
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.
There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
If you don't find yours, or if you want to look at it without disassembling the oven, you can download it here.
Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html (if it's not shorted, it's probably okay)
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Dec 15, 2008
SOURCE: Microwave not heating food
The problem you are having with your microwave is a common one. Not heating is a problem that can be caused by three things. I'll list the most common solution first, the magnetron that actually does the heating is what is making that noise and has gone bad. It is possible for you to also have a bad high voltage diode that has opened up, solution two, or solution three is the high voltage capacitor is not working properly as well. From my experience with microwaves I am positive that it is your magnetron that is bad. If you are not do it yourselfer you'll need to take it to a repair shop to replace. However, if you know how to use a screwdriver and can unplug a couple of wires with spade terminals on them, then you can take it off yourself, find another one and replace it the same way you took it off. The magnetron sits behind the control panel of your microwave but on top. It has cooling fins on it and has 2 terminals maybe three depending and make and model that plug into it. It has 4 screws that are easy to get to that actually holds it in place. If you do not have a good local source like an electronic parts supply place then you can find the right magnetron at www.mwoparts.com. Be sure you always unplug the microwave before touching or trying to take the he cover off and then when you take the magnetron off also.Good luck and God bless.
Posted on Jan 26, 2009
The fan you hear is probably the magnetron cooling fan and that, and the light, are probably both controlled by the electronics board that controls everything else. You might inquire online at Maytag or the Sears parts department to determine the cost of a replacement board but I suspect it will either not be available at all or cost 3/4 of a new microwave.
Posted on Jan 23, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 16, 2013 | GE JVM1630 Microwave Oven
Feb 05, 2011 | GE Profile Spacemaker JVM1871 Microwave...
Investigate these three areas if your microwave won't heat but you hear a loud buzzing or humming noise:
A diode is an electronic component that readily
passes current in one direction only and blocks the flow of current in
the opposing direction. If your microwave's diode has become defective,
your microwave will not heat and you will hear a buzzing noise. Test the
diode to determine if this is the cause of your problem. Replace it if
it is defective.
A capacitor is an electrical device which stores
electricity. A defective capacitor may be why your microwave is not
heating but you are hearing a buzzing or humming noise. The capacitor
will have to be tested to determine if this is the cause of your
problem. A defective capacitor will have to be replaced before your
microwave will work again. Make sure you discharge the capacitor before you test it, though.
A defective magnetron is the third possible cause of
why your microwave is not heating, but you can hear a buzzing noise.
Test your microwave's magnetron. Replace it if it is defective.
Nov 09, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Aug 18, 2009 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven
Apr 23, 2009 | GE JVM1320 Microwave Oven
Feb 15, 2009 | Panasonic NN-C980 Convection/Microwave...
Dec 18, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Dec 11, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
Jan 06, 2008 | Jenn-Air JMC7000 Microwave Oven
Jul 02, 2017 | Maytag MMV5156AAS Microwave Oven
Apr 11, 2009 | Maytag MMV5156AAS Microwave Oven
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: