Question about Estate EED4400WQ Dryer
If the model number you listed this question under is correct, changing the drive belt involves the following steps:
1. UNPLUG the dryer and remove the lint screen.
2. Remove the two screws that were under the lint screen and lift the top panel.
3. Unplug the door switch connector plug and any ground wire that may be installed on the casing.
4. Locate the two screws that hold the front panel in place. There should be one screw on each side in the cabinet interior.
5. With the door shut, lean against the front panel and remove the two screws that hold it in place. Once the screws are removed, grasp the front panel at the top center and lift straight up to remove.
You should now have complete access to the dryer interior. Release the belt tension, by pushing the idler pulley (tensioner) to the right (away from the belt) and remove the old belt from around the drum.
If the belt has broken, this may sometimes cause the idler pulley (tensioner) to come loose. This is normal with no tension on the pulley to hold it in place. To install a new belt and re-install the pulley, follow these steps:
1. Loop the drive belt around the dryer drum with the groove side facing the drum. (Try to line the belt up with the wear marks already on the drum from the previous belt).
2. With the tensioner in your left hand, insert the clip end of the idler pulley into the grooves on the dryer bottom casing with the idler wheel pointing to your left. (The grooves are directly in front of the drive motor.)
3. While holding the tensioner in place, insert the belt UNDER the wheel with your right hand and push the wheel to the RIGHT while pulling the belt over the drive motor pulley.
If this does not explain it well enough, you can also verify by going to repairclinic.com. Click on the Repair Help link and look for the "Dryer Belt Diagrams" link under the Special Features section on the next page. Look for WHIRLPOOL and refer to diagram H (This model is manufactured by Whirlpool).
Replacement parts (if required) can be ordered on line at any of the following websites:
The part number for a replacement belt is 341241. All these sites offer great service with competitive pricing, so shop and compare. The first three sites I have listed also include helpful exploded view diagrams that can help you locate and properly identify the parts you may need. you can view a diagram of the belt and tensioner under the "Cabinet Parts" section.
NOTE: If you still have the Teflon glide type tensioner (does not have a wheel), Whirlpool recommends you replace it with a conventional roller type idler pulley. The Teflon type tensioners caused premature wear to the drive belt. The part number is 691366.
Once you have the belt installed, re-install the dryer front panel by holding it as you did previously. Line up the holes on the inside bottom edge of the front panel with the small mounting cleats on the front edge of the side panels. This can be done by yourself, but an assistant may make it easier. Once you have the front panel in place, lean against it to hold it in place and install the mounting screws.
NOTE: Don't forget to reconnect the grounding wire and door switch connector plug. Without the door switch connected, the dryer will not run.
Lower the top panel back in place and reinstall the two screws.
NOTE: Placing a piece of duct tape over the dryer vent chute will help safeguard against dropping anything down in the blower fan assembly. If you drop any screws down the chute, you will need to remove the dryer back panel to retrieve them. If you have any questions about this repair, please post back and let me know. I hope this helps you.
Posted on Oct 08, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 05, 2012 | Adidas Martial Arts
Fig. Fig. 17: ... remove the belt from around one of the pulleys to remove the belt
WARNING Use caution when removing or installing the belt and make sure the tool does not slip from the drive belt tensioner or personal injury or damage to the belt tensioner and the belt may occur.
Aug 05, 2012 | 1997 Mercury Sable
May 16, 2012 | Cell Phones
Apr 11, 2017 | Husqvarna Lawn Tractor 48" Deck, 23 Hp,...
Oct 14, 2010 | Pontiac Firebird Cars & Trucks
Oct 17, 2009 | 2001 Hyundai XG300
Sep 15, 2009 | Hyundai Tiburon Cars & Trucks
Jun 01, 2009 | 1997 Ford Taurus
Jan 19, 2009 | Hoover Windtunnel Supreme U5280-900...
May 10, 2014 | Estate EED4400WQ Dryer
193 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: