Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Last night my wife accidently turned on the microwave with nothing inside. It probably ran for 15-20 minutes before I noticed a burning smell (burnt wiring) After opening the door I noticed the unit had no electrical power at all. Later that evening the power returned but when cooking it again had a burning smell and made a unusual noise. Should we replace the unit?

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Brigadier General:

    An expert that has over 10,000 points.

  • Master
  • 4,090 Answers

Well I can tell you roughly what happened. You overheated the oven, as there was nothing inside to absorb the radiation. So the sensor shout off the power ( safety switch) It returns when the oven reduces in temperature. The burning may be due to internal damage to some of the insulation compound. It takes foreverf to get rid of smells from microwaves no matter what you use including vanill or some other anti stink medicine. The unit is probably OK but overtime will now begin to deteriorate and may even leak radiation to greater extent.

Dump it is my suggestion, but make sure it is damaged sufficiently to prevent dump rats from salvaging it and using it.

The unusual noise ( almost missed that) is damage to the rotation motor bearins that have been expanded and are now out of alignment.

Too risky!

Posted on Aug 01, 2009

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

When the door was closed and the microwave was started,a very loud noise with an electrical burn smell occurred. I was microwaving a small microwave safe cup of milk. The built in microwave was...


hi,smell is probably the magetron,arcing...is the inside of the microwave,any burnt marks....hv diode an magetron might be bad...possible shorted hv diode....

Nov 05, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Oven operating while empty


Yes, as long as you don't smell any burning, but as always, no microwave should ever run unattended.

Jun 03, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Need to clean air filter of burned popcorn smell


You would be better off to replace the filter. Purchase two and use the first one to capture the remaining smoke residue. Then install the other clean one to keep microwave free of smell. Check the web site www.partselect.com for the replacement filter. If you found any of these suggestions helpful, please rate my solution. D. Lange

Apr 25, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Noise while not running


don;t worry;
all you need to do is lubricate the fan bearings with light machine oil and make sure the fan is not hitting anything

Apr 18, 2009 | Kenmore 63682 / 63684 / 63689 Microwave...

1 Answer

Sparks, noise and burning smell


If it is burning and arcing at the antenna, it is probably arcing in the wave guide area. Probably will have to replace unit. I have had some success by removing the antenna, sanding and repainting the burnt areas of the cavity and sanding off any burnt marks on the antenna. Need to look at top of mag to see if also arcing there too.

Jun 16, 2017 | Panasonic NN-2555A Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat


A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Burning smell , Microwave not turning off


the control circuit shorted out from the cleaning session and kept the microwave on so long with nothing to cook that it has cooked itself I'm sorry to tell you. Probably not worth repairing

Dec 27, 2007 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

211 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

76691 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...