REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Fig. 1: The water pump is located on the front of the engine block, behind the timing cover
Fig. 2: Once the retainers are removed, pull the pump away from the block
Fig. 3: Scrape any remaining gasket material from the block before installing the new pump
Fig. 4: Water pump mounting bolt locations
Fig. 5: Front view of the water pump and thermostat housing
This procedure requires the removal of the timing belt. This is an extensive procedure requiring precision work, particularly at assembly. For more information, refer to Timing Belt Removal and Installation. Do not attempt to remove the belt without consulting the procedure; extreme engine damage may occur.
Fig. 6: Apply sealant to the areas shown
Fig. 7: A and B bolt locations
Fig. 8: Exploded view of the water pump arrangement — 5VZ-FE engine
2RZ-FE and 3RZ-FE Engines
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the timing belt. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Timing Belt Removal and Installation.
- Remove the idler pulley.
- Remove the thermostat.
- Disconnect the oil cooler hose from the pump.
- Remove the seven bolts and the tension spring bracket and then remove the water pump.
- Clean all parts well. It is good practice to carefully clean all threaded openings, especially those exposed to coolant to remove rust and scale so at assembly, an accurate torque reading is obtained. This is important since gasketless applications like this depend on even clamp loads from the fasteners to avoid distortion and leaks. Remove any old sealer (Toyota calls it packing) from the pump and mounting area of the engine. Keep oil off the mating areas.
- Apply Formed In Place Gasket (FIPG) sealer to the pump-to-block mating surface and then tighten the bolts marked A in the illustration to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm). Tighten those marked B to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
NOTE: The parts must be installed within 5 minutes of application of the sealant. Otherwise you must remove and reapply the sealer.
- Connect the oil cooler hose.
- Install the thermostat with a new gasket.
- Install the idler pulley.
- Install the timing belt.
- Install the drive belts and adjust the tension.
- Refill the cooling system and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- If equipped with an air conditioning compressor or power steering pump drive belts, it may be necessary to loosen the adjusting bolt, remove the drive belt(s) and move the component(s) out of the way.
- Remove the fluid coupling with the fan and water pump pulley.
- Remove the water pump.
- Clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Install the replacement water pump using a new gasket.
- Install the water pump pulley and fluid coupling with the fan.
- Install the removed engine drive belts.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Bleed the cooling system.
Fig. 9: Exploded view of the water pump mounting on the 1FZ-FE engine
Fig. 10: Detach the oil cooler hose from the clamp on the fan shroud