Question about Computers & Internet

2 Answers

Move data from Windows 95 to Windows 2000

I have files and programs on OS Windows 95. I would like to keep these files and programs by moving them to another computer that runs OS Windows 2000 Professional. Can I do this and how?

Posted by on


2 Answers

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 238 Answers

Hi, yes you can. Just take off your harddisk containing the files ans programs you have mentioned from your CPU unit and transfer it to another computer. You must set your harddisk as Slave. There's a jumper setting labeled in your harddisk just follow where the jumper is set as slave in your harddisk.

*Drop me a comment when you are done and if the other computer recognizes your harddisk drive or not. I'll be waiting. I am here to help you.

Posted on Dec 29, 2008

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that has over 10 points.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 17 Answers

Files are pretty easy to transfer, and there are a few ways to do it. You can some kind of removable storage device such as an external hard drive or a thumb drive. You can also set up a network between the computers, which can be done using the network setup wizard, which can be found in the control panel.

Transferring programs is the hard part. If you don't have very many programs, you might just want to reinstall them on the new computer if you have the installation discs or files. If you have a lot of programs with settings that you would like to keep, you may want to purchase a transferring program like PCmover, which will transfer files, programs, and settings between two computers.

Another option is to use a disk imaging program, which creates an exact copy of your entire hard drive which can be moved onto another computer. There are many programs you can use to do this, some of which cost money, whereas some can be downloaded for free. You can find a list of free programs here:

The disk imaging option is definitely more difficult than a straight transfer though, since it just copies them to a file rather than actually installing them on the new computer. This option is mainly useful if you want to keep programs that you do not have installation discs or files for.

Posted on Dec 29, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

Iam using original win 8 64 bit in my acer lappy and right now iam planning to buy new lappy and i want to get win 8 to move in my new lappy along with all data

You could take the hard drive out of one and move it to the other. You might have trouble with drivers. An easier thing to do would be to buy an external hard drive and move all of your data to the external hard drive and then copy it to the new laptop.

Apr 17, 2015 | Acer Computers & Internet

2 Answers

ASUS Notebook K52F/K62F Has 2 hard drives os(c:)1.1GB free of 74.5GB Data(D:)179GB free of 208GB Can I free more space in c drive by transferring it to D drive? If so how is this easy to do?

You can move your documents and data but not program or system files.
Select drive D:
Make a directory/folder called copies.
Go to My Documents in C: and select which ones you wish to move. With the right mouse button select Cut.
Go to the folder you made in D: and right click selecting Paste.
You can use that routine for all files you want to move.

Sep 22, 2014 | ASUS Computers & Internet

1 Answer

How do you transfer settings and files to a new PC?

Hi Anita,

First and foremost, you should perform a COMPLETE back up of your computer's drive(s) to either CDs, DVDs, Thumb drive(s) or other external drive(s).

Only after you have done this, should you proceed. Microsoft offers an "Easy Transfer Wizard" but there are limitations of what it can do. The most significant of which is the INABILITY to move applications that were previously installed on the Windows XP machine. There is no program I know of that will move installed applications to a new computer and new OS. What it WILL do is move the DATA that was created by these programs; leaving you to reinstall the applications manually again in your new Windows 8 machine. It also moves your photos, music etc - but no applications.

You should download a version of the Wizard that is specific to the OS of your old machine - WinXP (

Here's a link that details the process:

I hope this helps and good luck!

May 23, 2014 | Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

2 Answers

How do I move photos from FB to "my pictures" on my harddrive?

If you are using Firefox as your browser, use this addon:
If you are using Mac OS, use this free program and login to FB account with it:
If you are not using Firefox or Mac, use this program for Windows:

Mar 10, 2011 | Facebook Computers & Internet

2 Answers

Have an older asus pc 900 with 20g in 2 seperate discs. the c drive only have 4g, and can't even update windows, any solutions. or how to add more space to the c drive, thank

If this drive is partitioned as it appears to be, then the only way to make the c: drive bigger is to backup your data and delete both partitions and recreate the partition as a single drive. Then re-install your windows program, restore your programs and recover your data from backup.

You could also purchase an external hard disk drive to store data in and leave your partitiions alone.

Oct 24, 2010 | ASUS Eee PC 900 Notebook

2 Answers

I have a windows 7 ultimate, but i want to change it to windows xp service pack 2. can i change windows 7 to win xp without damaging all the data i have stored?



Oct 15, 2010 | Microsoft Computers & Internet

1 Answer

Can I create another drive on my PC and move folders/programs there? If I do will it help PC speed?

Keeping some space in c drive vacant is always recommended. Instead of moving program files you should move your audio and video files form drive having Windows in it.

Dec 12, 2009 | HP Computers & Internet

1 Answer

Had a move data error -113 when loading a

It is unfortunately deleted and that is the error which is operated on adobe acrobat that is image loading file.And you can also install it.

Oct 29, 2009 | Microsoft Windows 98 for PC

4 Answers

Local Disk C running out of space but the D drive has plenty of space. How to make the D drive the primary partition? Os in on C drive windows Vista.

Do you run Disk Cleanup regularly (once a month)? This will free up disk space on the C drive, it remover old temporary files and compressed files as well as other files.
You can also move and save your data files to the D drive, so the C drive has only the operating system files and program files.

Sep 28, 2009 | Lenovo IdeaCentre K210 Intel Desktop...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Computers & Internet Logo

Related Topics:

43 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Computers & Internet Experts

Doctor PC
Doctor PC

Level 3 Expert

7733 Answers


Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers

David Payne
David Payne

Level 3 Expert

14162 Answers

Are you a Computer and Internet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides