Question about 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier
P0172 OBD-II - System Too Rich (Bank 1)
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a rich condition (too little oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.
Note: This DTC is very similar to P0175, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
Symptoms: You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a misfire.
Causes: A code P0172 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak.
* There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem
Possible solutions include:
* Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
* Cleanthe MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
* Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
* Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail
* Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.
* Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)
Hope helps (remember rated and comment this).
Posted on Sep 02, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 11, 2012 | 2002 Acura RSX
Jun 11, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Dec 02, 2009 | 1998 Buick Park Avenue
Apr 09, 2009 | 1998 Chevrolet Malibu
Aug 13, 2008 | Hyundai Elantra Cars & Trucks
580 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: