Regarding your query, it sounds like the HP Officejet 4315 printer is locked into the advanced service test mode (i.e. one of your ink cartridges is causing the issue). Remove both ink cartridges and clean thoroughly before proceeding to next step - our Inkjet411 support links are provided below to help you diagnose the issue.
1) Clean cartridge/printer electrical contacts. Also inspect printer's internal carriage flex cables for surface damage (i.e. burn marks) or an uneven contact surface (by which the cartridge's rear electrical contacts mates with).
2) Perform either of the 'B' procedures below to verify HP Officejet 4315 printer and ink cartridge electrical performance.
B.1. Perform Tap 43 test: [for most older HP Officejet printer models with keypads]
1. Press * and # keys at same time
2. Enter 1234 (or 124). The 'Underware' menu should be displayed.
3. Using left/right arrow keys, navigate to Special Reports/Reports Menu (......or 'System Menu' / 'Information Menu' if Reports Menu is not available). Select Enter.
4. Using left/right arrow keys, navigate to 'Extended Self Test'.
5. Select Enter to print test print - evaluate test print. If excessive nozzles are missing from the stair step pattern, then perform cartridge cleaning to correct.
6. Using left/right arrow keys, navigate to 'print-mech button tap' menu.
7. Select Ok ('code = 0' will be displayed); click and hold Right Arrow until 'code = 43' is displayed. NOTE: enter 'code = 41' if 'code =43' does not activate the diagnostic print report.
8. Select Ok. Within one minute the Tap 43/41 diagnostic test pattern should be initiated and print. The test page prints.
--- Providing the color cartridge is partially functioning, the diagnostic test print will be printed (this is a forced service print test which is mainly used for the evaluation of ink cartridge electrical health). A good HP 21/27/56 black cartridge should display 416 good nozzles (26x16 grid), while a good HP 22/28/57/58 color ink cartridge should show 300 good nozzles (10x10 color grid). For reference, please refer to video at link below to help evaluate test pattern. [NOTE: HP 56/57/58 and HP21/22 cartridges are electrically similar]: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=2358
B.2. Print Diagnostic Self-Test Page (only available on select HP printer models):
1. Press the Setup Button located on the bottom center of the control panel, beneath the LED readout.
2. Press 2 to select "Print Reports"
3. Press 6 to select "Self-Test Report" on the number keypad
4. Examine the resulting self-test page that prints. There should be lines extending all the way across the page in black, yellow, cyan and magenta. A missing black line indicates a problem with the black or photo cartridge. Faded, streaked or missing lines in the other colors indicates a problem with the color ink cartridge. Refer to video at link below to help evaluate test pattern.
For advanced HP inkjet printer diagnostics specific to your printer model, please refer to 'HP Diagnostics Tests' .pdf file at the following link: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=1813
Please note that all Costco USA (all stores), Costco Canada/Mexico/UK (most stores), Fry's Electronics USA (all stores), Best Buy Canada (13 stores) support the the HP 61 ink cartridge series. Our network of retailers stand behind the product and performance - guaranteed. For store locations and details on ink refill pricing:
Costco USA Ink Refill Service (465+ stores):http://www.costcoinkjetrefill.com
Costco Canada Ink Refill Service (59 stores):http://www.ca.costcoinkjetrefill.com
Costco Mexico Ink Refill Service (35 stores):http://es.costcoinkjetrefill.com/
Costco United Kingdom (7 stores):http://uk.costcoinkjetrefill.com/
Fry's Electronics Ink Refill Service (34 stores):http://www.frys.com/ads/page51
Best Buy Canada (13 stores):www.geeksquad.ca/inkrefill
We also have ink refilling centers in many University stores across the USA & Canada, including:
Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University - Idaho, Cornell University, New York University, Queen's University, San Diego State University, University of Calgary, University of San Diego, University of Virginia and University of Wisconsin - Madison
Refill Store Map Locator:http://www.go2ris.com/
Just bring your ink cartridges into any of our authorized refill center locations. The in-store representatives (at either Photo/Electronics support center) are trained to refill over 270 different ink cartridge types from all the major manufacturers (i.e. HP, Epson, Canon, Lexmark and Dell) and can answer any additional questions you may have. It typically takes less than an hour to complete the refill from the time you drop the cartridges off. Our network of retailers stand behind the product and performance - guaranteed. All of our inks are Made in America and closely match original manufacturer's ink quality - we are sure you'll be satisfied with both color 'pop' and image longevity performance.
The RIS InkCenter - the power behind retail Inkjet Cartridge Refill Services: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7tlmEexor8
Save Money. Save The Environment.
Customers who have questions regarding the use of refilled ink cartridges can visithttp://www.inkjet411.com
or contact us directly [email protected]
, if a refill center is not close to you and you need to purchase a new ink cartridge(s) and are trying to cut costs, we suggest you try a remanufactured ink cartridge fromhttp://www.inkplicity.com/
as their ink cartridges typically have the lowest cost in the USA, have a high reliability rating, come with a 1-year warranty and provide free shipping for all orders above $20 (available for US Residents only).