Archos Audio Players & Recorders - Recent Questions, Troubleshooting & Support
Recovery code 104 for the archos 405 mp4 player
go to archos firmware and download version 2.1.04 to your pc or laptop and save it in a folder then get ur mp4 turn it on and go format you will get a screen that says done leave it on that and connect to your pc or laptop it will recognise your mp4 then go in my computer and open 405 and open your save file and drag the save file into the 405 but NOT into a folder below them and after it has\copied turn the 405 off and start it up should be as good as new
on Jan 29, 2020
Recovery Code 2 on Archos 604 WiFi
The solution I found to reset the hard drive. Follow these procedures:
1. Remove the battery.
2. Unscrew the 2 screws on the right side of the battery compartment.
3. Loosen the 4 screws on the other side of the unit, but be very careful not to take them out, leave part of the screw in the hole, because if you don't, you'll have a hard time putting them back later as I found out. Now I have one loose screw on the bottom left.
4. Open the back cover carefully and make sure the 4 screws on the side are still intact. Adjust these screws if you have to but make sure they don't come all the way out. After opening the cover you'll see the hard drive and you'll probably see the connecting cable is loose. Lift out the hard drive and tighten the cable.
5. Replace the cover, tighten all the screws, and you are set.
After that, my 604wifi was able to start up normally and the recovery message is gone. A new problem now is the unit will turn off by itself after about 20 seconds. I suspected it was because of the loose screw, but I just don't have the time to fool with it now, well...future project.
Archos 604 WiFi...
on Jan 11, 2020
I can't play all AVI's on my Archos 605
Yeah you need to go to the archos website and buy the cinema plug in (£14.99) if you want to play all. the only other option is to convert the avi files that you cant play. Also if you want to play any mpeg4 files and quite a few other files with different audio codecs you need the podcast plug in (again £14.99). This is the only way to be able to play everything on your archos without converting the files - it's a bit of a rip off as each set of plugins is specifically downloaded for a product key so you cant even get one from someone else - believe me I have tried for days to get them free!
Hope that helps!
on Jan 03, 2020
Archos 5 frozen screen
I have found a solution for this issue, if you hold down the volume button and the power button for several seconds the Archos goes into a restore type mode. You then plug it into your computer and download the latest firmware update and cut and paste it onto the archos removable hard drive icon that appears in my computer. It will take a few minutes to update but then it will work perfectly.
on Nov 16, 2019
I have downloaded 5 movies in avi and dragged them
You may want to change the format of the movies. The player may be able to play .avi files but sometimes it will just not play and changing the format may alleviate the problem. Follow these steps:
- Follow this link and download youtube downloader free of charge http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=youtube+downloader&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows
- After you have downloaded and installed it please open it and go to convert a video you have already downloaded.
- Select the movie you want to convert and then convert to .mp4 which should play with anything
- Wait for it to convert and then drag it to your archos 5.
on Nov 14, 2019
No audio on AVI files
I would download virtualdub (free), install a divx convertor (free to some level), and input your original file in virtualdub (file-open file), check the video tab from VDUB, click compression, select divx, and save the file as an .avi file on harddisk of yr computer. If finished, check this avi file with a media player (winamp or so), see if it plays correctly, then transfer the file to your Archos. This will work.
I believe, when you converted, a stray codec was used for audio)
Archos 605 WiFi...
on Nov 08, 2019
Once you have downloaded the file to your PC simply connect your archos to your pc using USB cable provided, select PC hard drive mode, and simply copy or drag and drop from one destination to the other. Your Archos usually appears as J:Archos604WiFi if you have a built in card reader if not it may appear as an earlier letter in the alphabet.
Archos 604 WiFi...
on Jul 09, 2019
Not finding what you are looking for?