How to take back & top off washing machine
If this is a Whirlpool TOP LOADER, the back of the washer is not designed to come off. These washers are designed to have the entire cabinet come off in one piece. Its a failrly simple procedure. Just follow these steps:
1. Unplug washing machine.
2. Remove console. This can be accomplished in one of two ways depending on which type of console you have.
a. If the console has removable end caps, the caps lift off by prying on the top from the back of the washer. The cap will pull off towards you as you are facing the unit from the front of the washer. There will be a screw under each end cap that you will need to remove.
b. If the console does not have removable end caps, you will need to slide a putty knife under the front corner of each side and push in while lifting up. There is a retaining clip under each side that has to be released.
3. Once the console has been released it will lift up and fold back over the back of the washer in its resting position. Use care not to stress the small plastic hinges that hold it on. They can break easily.
4. Under the console will be two large brass colored clips. Take a large flat blade screwdriver and place it in the groove of the clip on the washer top. With the screwdriver firmly in the groove, push away from you towards the back of the washer. This will release the clips.
5. Disconnect the lid switch connector plug. This is the white colored plug on the washer top under the console.
6. Remove the washer casing. Open the lid of the washer. Using one hand, grip under the front rim of the washer opening. Do not grab the wash tub, just the casing. Tilt the washer case from the back first towards you, slide forward slightly, and then lift up. The entire case comes off exposing the wash tub and components.
To reinstall the washer casing, follow these steps to ensure you get the case correctly placed and secure on the frame:
1. With the lid of the washer open, grasp the case under the front rim and place it on the washer frame. While looking down through the washer lid opening, make sure the front lip of the case is placed UNDER the washer frame and rocked back onto the frame to ensure that the small cleats on the frame fit into the slotted grooves on the washer case base. If you do not get the case seated correctly it will rattle and vibrate while the washer is in operation.
2. Make sure the back of the washer fits into the washer casing on each side by leaning over the front of the washer and grasping the back panel and pull towards you. Reinsert the brass clips by placing the clips into the slot on the back of the washer first, and then forcefully push then down into the opening on top of the washer.
3. REINSTALL LID SWITCH CONNECTOR. It is easy to forget. If you do not reconnect it, the washer will not work correctly.
4. Reinstall console.
If this is a Whirlpool FRONT LOADER, the top comes off by removing the screws that hold the panel in place in the rear of the washer. With the screws removed, the panel will slide back, then lift off.
The rear of the washer will come off by removing the series of screws around the perimeter of the back panel.
Read through everything thoroughly before beginning any repairs. If you have any questions, or require additional assistance, please post back with your complete model number (located on a nameplate around the tub opening - top loader, around the door opening - front loader) so that I may be able to provide you with better assistance. I hope this information is helpful to you.