Hi I was using my Garmin yesterday and the battery went flat as it was not plugged into the lighter. so i plugged it in to the lighter but it would not switch on. The red light was on in the charger. Can you help please. Thanks
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If this is a cigarette lighter plug, the fuse may be blown. Unscrew the top where it plugs into the cigarette lighter and check the fuse. But, more than likely the fuse in your car for the cigarette lighter is blown. Check the car fuse first.
Sorry to hear of the dead units. Are you using the correct power cable with a small hole in the centre of the plug? The GPS 12 is strictly limited to 7 volts only. The accessory cigarette lighter cable for this model has a circuit inside to drop the voltage from 12 to 7. Cannot be fixed. There would have been a plastic peg in the back of the GPS socket to prevent anything but the correct voltage Garmin cable being plugged in. Unfortunately these pegs are easily broken off. Yes, they are a good little unit even though well on in years. The next model up - the 12XL - can accept a wide voltage range and does not have the plastic peg.
plug your Garmin in the next time you are planning to drive for a couple of hours and let it charge, if not that then it is the connection wire is loose at the base of the unit...go to radio shack if your wire is bad....they have them there.
If it does not show 'charging' when connected to power, then something may be wrong with the power cord. If it is the vehicle cord (the one with the cigarette lighter plug) check the fuse in the tip of the cord.
The battery was completely dead. I must not have had the cord plugged in to my lighter, or maybe it wasn't sitting properly on the cradle, and it was running on battery power. I found that when I charged it by the computer, it was ok. It is working with no problems, now.