Epson Stylus 440, solid light on for black ink, have replaced and still won't print
I had a paper jam and forceably pulled the paper back out from the tray side. It has not printed since. The solid red light came on the black ink indicator. I have replaced the cartridge two times with new cartridges from Printpal made in China (non-Epson) and the light remains on and solid (not blinking). I have followed the online directions for resetting the ink level counter with no success. Those directions seem to be for a blinking light. When the solid light first came on, the cartridge had only been in a couple of days. Is there anything else I can do before junking it. I have had good luck with this printer for 10 years. Thanks, Shirley
Re: Epson Stylus 440, solid light on for black ink, have...
This morning I was researching to purchase a new printer to replace the 10 year one. The last cartridges I had purchased were from Printpal and made in China. They looked the same, but I had to force the door closed on them. With the solid red light on and replacing the cartridge three times with new ones from this order, it was time to find an old used cartridge from another company that I intended to refill myself. I did, installed it and the solid red light disappeared. The old Epson Stylus 440 is still ticking! However, I had written off InkGrabber for unused cartridges going dry in 2 months and now Printpal is on my $%%# list for non-uniform replacement cartridges as well as not lasting long. I am back to refilling my own. I had followed the instructions for resetting the ink level indicator, but to no avail as those instructions are for a blinking light, not a solid light.
I appreciate your website, if for nothing else, to be able to vent. Thanks so much for your follow-up inquiry and I'm sure you'll hear from me again soon about my old Epson.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I hope this will help you :)
* Green Power light flashes- The printer is receiving a print job, replacing an ink cartridge, charging ink, or cleaning the print head.
* RED paper light is On- If the CD/DVD try guide is open, close the CD/DVD tray guide, load paper, then press the paper button.
Your paper ran out or multiple sheets loaded at the same time . Load paper and press the paper butoon to resume printing.
* RED paper light flashes- Paper is jammed in the printer. Press the paper button to eject the jammed paper. If the light is still flashing , open the cover and remove all paper, including any jammed or torn pieces. Then reload paper and press the paper button to continue printing.
* RED Ink Light Flashes - One or more cartridges are low on ink. Check the message that appears on your screen to determine which cartridge is low, or follow the instructions in " Checking the Ink Supply". Make sure you have a replacement cartridge.
* RED Ink Light is ON- One or more cartridges are out of ink or not installed. If you have just installed a new cartridge, it may be incomaptible with the printer or incorrectly installed. Reinstall it or replace it with the correct cartridge
* RED Ink and RED paper lights flash alternately- The CD/DVD tray guide was left open when you turned on the printer or when printing on paper. Just simply close it/
* Green Power Light is Off; RED paperand RED Ink Lights flashing- Paper may be blocking movement of the print head. Turn off the printer, then open the cover and remove any jammed paper or other foreign objects. Turn the printer back on again. Or it may have an internal error. Turn off the printer, wait a few seconds, then turn it on again.
The error means you have a paper jam or one of the sensors is incorrectly reading a paper jam. Unplug the unit and check all areas for a jam. Remove the back Jam Clear Cover and check inside there. Remove the Paper Tray and check that area and check if the PE actuator is in place behind the paper tray. Lift the scanner flatbed unit and check inside the print carriage area. Look for scraps of paper at the sides of the platen. These scraps that may be soaked with ink and difficult to see. You may need to move the print head to see both sides.
If the PE actuator is missing, contact Brother for a replacement. Put in the replacement if needed.
Close the scanner unit, replace the clear jam cover (put it on correctly) and replace the paper tray. Plug in and turn on the printer and see if the message clears. If it doesn't clear, access the Ink or Ink Management menu (either directly by a single key or through the menus). Do a test print for Print Quality (Color). If the quality is good, press 1, the up arrow or + key to select Yes. Then press the Stop/Exit button. If the print quality is poor, clean the print head.
If the jam message occurs again, check for more scraps of paper inside the unit as above. Make sure your paper meets the specifications for the printer and isn't getting excessively humid. (Paper will pick up moisture from the atmosphere so keep only the needed amount in open reams or the paper tray.) Fan the paper in the tray and then return it to the paper tray. Make sure the paper is flat in the tray and that the guides are just touching the edge of the paper.
If it still doesn't clear, the unit needs service.
The JAM DUPLEX message appears if you remove a sheet of paper from
the face down output tray after only one side has printed.
The paper sizes you can use with the duplex printing function
are A4, Letter or Legal. If the paper adjustment lever for duplex printing is not set
correctly for the paper size, paper jams may occur and the printing will
be out of position on the page.
back output tray. Use both
hands to slowly pull the jammed paper out of the fuser unit.
the back output tray. If the paper jam cannot be cleared, go to the next step. Pull the
duplex tray and paper tray out of the printer. Pull the
jammed paper out of the printer Put the
duplex tray and paper tray back in the printer.
Click solved and vote if problem is solved. Otherwise post again
At the lower back of the printer, there is a panel. Open it and if there's a paper stuck, pull down the two green locks on both sides to pull out the paper. Push the green locks upwards and close the panel. Then open and close the top panel of the printer to 'refresh' printing.
My C60 Epson Stylus printer is not printing. First of all the paper jammed, I pull the paper from the front and since then the catridge holder is not going to the middle to print. also the green light keepon flashing and the red light stays on. I need your help.
Remove any paper trays. Inspect them for wrinkled or damaged paper.
Also open the back cover of the printer if this model has one.
Open any other doors that give access to the printer's paper path and to the toner or ink cartridge.
If necessary, remove the toner or ink cartridge. Place it away from light/ sun light to avoid damaging it.
If you find a piece of jammed paper, remove it by
holding it with both hands and pulling firmly. The goal is to keep the
paper from tearing. If several pieces are jammed together, try pulling
out the middle piece first to loosen the jam.
If the paper does tear, try rotating the roller gears manually to free the paper. Don't force anything, though. Do
this step especially if the jam message comes up repeatedly without any
obvious paper jam, there may be a small tear of paper inside.
Ones the printer is free of paper Replace the toner or
ink cartridge and paper trays, close any doors you opened and turn the
printer back on.
If the printer paper jam message still appears, then there is still some paper in the printer. Reinspect the paper path.
see alternative if the problem is still not solved.
a piece of thick paper, for example photo paper and press the resume
button (may be diffrent button on diffrent models) a few times to the
printer picks up the paper and puts it through the machine.