The message Paper Jam may appear on the display
if the Brother machine is not feeding paper correctly, paper scraps have
become stuck in the print head path, the paper is not loaded properly
in the paper tray, the jam clear cover located in the back of the
machine, is not installed properly or the PE Actuator is missing or
To solve this problem, please follow the steps listed below:
Note : images shown below are from the representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.
- Disconnect the machine from the power supply.
- Turn the unit around and remove the Jam Clear Cover from the
back of the machine by grasping it at the Center and pulling it straight
away from the rear of the machine.
DO NOT place the jam clear cover face down as shown in the illustration. You may damage the cover and cause paper jam.
- Look for any paper scraps, jammed paper or foreign objects in the rear of the unit. If anything is found, remove it.
Be careful not to touch the feed roller.
- Remove the Paper Tray from the machine.
- Remove any remaining or jammed paper from the front of the machine.
- Look inside the machine, where the paper tray was installed and locate the white PE Actuator.
Do not stand the machine on end. Ink may leak from the machine.
The PE Actuator looks like a 2 prong fork or tuning fork and is
located near the rear center of the machine where the paper tray slides
in. It is located between the 2 gray rollers.
- If the White PE Actuator is in place, continue to Step 7.
- If the White PE Actuator is missing, please contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".
Using both hands, use the plastic tabs on both sides of machine to
lift the flat-bed scanner until it locks securely into the open
- Carefully examine areas 1 and 2 at the left and right hand ends of the platen area for paper scraps.
- These scraps may have become saturated with ink and be difficult to see.
- Use a flashlight if necessary to check thoroughly.