Re: cmos is password protected.... unable to disable...
The only real thing you can do is to remove your cmos battery for about 5 mins and reset the password. The battery is on the mother board, It looks like a watch battery.Just pop it out and wait for about five mins and you should be good to go. Make sure you unplug the computer before you do this.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The CMOS battery is attached to the underside of the motherboard. you will need to carefully disassemble the entire laptop to access it. If there is a bios password there is no way to tell if there is an issue with the HDD. I would start with removing the CMOS and then resetting the Motherboard using the reset jumper. You need to look up the board and find where the reset jumper is, probably through a web forum or the manufacturer website. after resetting and replacing the battery, you may still run into issues...the password may be set through a TPM chip. This chip stores the security settings in flash memory. The jumper may reset this also, but I am not 100% on that.
1) You can reset BIOS to default settings by pressing <Alt><F>
2) I am not sure about the laptops, but in the Dell Desktops usually there is a reset jumper on the motherboard which is seated on 2pins out of 3, you just need to remove that jumper turn on the pc once and the turn on the pc again by reseating the jumper to its original place. You can try this with your laptop, I guess the jumper should be somewhere close to the CMOS battery.
3) Remove the battery and keep it away for atleast 30 mins. and replace it again.
NOTE: make sure while following step (3) and (4) the system should be completely turned off. Unplug the AC adapter, remove the battery and hold the power button for atleast 8 - 10 seconds.