I turned the unit on and within seconds I heard a rather loud explosive noise. Everything had gone black and has not worked since. My husband checked the fuse box. I unplugged and replugged, but nothing has revived this gem. I purchased the unit used from a friend who changed out her appliances from black to white and have gotten 10 years use so I have no complaints, but would like to know the reason for its demise. Does this have anything to do with the magnetron? If so, what is the approximate cost to replace one? Exactly what is the function of the magnetron? I would appreciate any advice, before purchasing a new unit. I like the looks of LG and Kenmore, but see so much negative feedback for just about all brands. I don't want to purchase a lemon as I've gone through that with my refrigerator. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Shirley
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Kenmore over the range microwave is dead
Since there was a loud pop, then the fuse blew, I would say the high voltage rectifier diode and fuse have blown.
If so, a do-it-yourselfer can fix this for about $25.
You can probably find exploded views and order parts by entering your model number here at the Sears parts site.
There may be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the
control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is
very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.
Here is a link you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first: http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html (The magnetron is a vacuum tube based device that outputs the microwave energy waves)
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Possible there is friction within the drive , the shaft or the motor. You can remove and RESET the drive. Remove the motor , MANUALLY check the motion of the mechanism which will confirm the case. You c an reset using a bit of lubrication.
Inexpensive fix yes, but quite dangerous as you have to either replace the High voltage Diode or the magnetron depending on what has gone. Most often it is the Diode as that is fed a few thousand volts and anomolies such as a surge in current cause it to blow(popping sound) You can also check the fuses and if lucky it is just a fuse, but a fuse very seldomly just blows as it points to an underlying fault such as magnetron , capacitor or Diode. Have a service man attend to it unless you know what you are doing as you are dealing with lethal voltages and current even after the microwave has been switched off.
HI, the sound you herd was the noise filter and running diode. these important components have failed at this point. you will need to replace these components asap, if possible. this will fix your issue.
The Magnetron Cut-off fuse will need to be replace as well. this will blow if there is a malfunction within the unit.
As long as the door latches correctly there should be no danger. Some items will cause loud "explosions" in a microwave, such as whole potatoes when the skin has not been pierced. If the food contains pickling spices for example, the seeds will explode with a very loud sound like a gun.
As long as the oven continues to heat, there may be no other problem. But I suggest you stay near the unit when using it. Watch for smoke and be alert for strange odors. You don't mention the age of your oven but if it is new you can call GE customer care at 800 432 2737.