- Is everything turned on?
- Is the blue light, inside your Magic Jack dongle, on? (Note that the Magic Jack Plus should have a flashing red and green led as well.) If you use the older model you might need to connect it through a powered hub to ensure the device receives enough power to operate properly?
- If this is a new installation, is your internet service and computer capable of handling the requirements placed upon them by Magic Jack?
- Do all your connecting cables appear to be firmly attached?
- Are you watching Netflix, downloading or streaming files at the same time you are attempting to place a call?
- If you are using the Magic Jack Plus, does the system report Error 3002?
Next, you should ask yourself what recent changes you have made to the computer/Magic Jack software? What recent upgrades have you performed to your hardware? Could this have effected the performance of your Magic Jack?
If your difficulties persist, it is time to divide and conquer. Google a 'you tube' link and watch the video. If you cannot connect to the internet, consult your internet provider for assistance. If the video is choppy, the internet connection might be too slow or bogged down. Perhaps your computer is too slow or requires maintenance. If you cannot hear sound, you might be experiencing problems with your soundcard or sound drivers. You should check Control Panel/Sound and ensure that 'USB internet phone by Tigerjet' is installed.
If the video ran correctly, the next step would be to test your handset and phone cord at another location.
If you prove the handset/phone cord to be correct, you have pinpointed your fault to either the Magic Jack or its software. Contact online support for Magic Jack.