My dehumidifier is making a power surge every few minutes. why?
A dehumidifier is functionally the same as an air conditioner. It has a compressor motor, which is a fairly high current draw item.
First of all, unless you are well versed in electrical repairs, you should unplug this unit and do not use it. This is a dangerous condition and a fire or electrocution could result.
One of four things is happening:
1) You have a wiring fault in the circuit your humidifier is plugged into. There is a loose connection in the circuit, causing a voltage drop, and the humidifier therefore has to pull much more current to start it's compressor. This is a very dangerous condition, as an electrical fire could result. Try plugging the unit into another circuit and see if it does the same thing.
2) the compressor of the humidifier is going bad and is shorting out internally. Time for a new unit.
3) Many compressor motors use a 'start capacitor' to help the motor get going. If this part has failed, the motor will try to start, but it will not be able to.
4) There is a fault in the power cord or controls of the humidifier. Just like #1 above, a loose connection could cause a voltage drop, making the unit draw high current.
most of these units are standard 110V units. If yours uses 220V (like an electric dryer), then it could have 'lost a phase' which is also a similar electrical issue.
Oct 16, 2009 |