Well we will be able to solve this issue. Its kind of a common problem associated with Sunbelt and Fix-it. Before going further I would like to know some details about your knowledge of computers and operating system. Because the steps I am going to describe here are technical and requires you to be an experienced user. You have to be comfortable of System tools and Utilities. Otherwise, I have to provide a more detailed solution. So, first I would like to answer a few questions to better understand the client and the issue.
Please include these information in your next reply. Otherwise you will not be able to get a Customized solution.
- Are you a comfortable user with the Operating System?
- Which Operating System does your computer run?
- When did you observe that your PC has this problem?
- Did you do a Customized Installation or a Typical / Full Installation?
- Did you do Deep System Scans earlier?
- Did you Aware of the Fix-it utilities package and its available tools / utilities ? Hope you have read the Product guide and User manuals before using the Software.
- Do you have any other Anti-spyware / malware scanners running inside of your PC?
- What is the EXACT error message you receive? That is very important.
- Have you Installed or Un-installed any software recently?
The solution may depend on your Answers
- Freezing the PC: 4 possibilities
- Most probably because of the Invoke of Viper Anti Virus package. Its natural to stop at 99%, if so.
- Unable to load the Sunbelt Component.
- The required component is either missing or corrupt.
- The Virus had jammed one of the components.
- If you are a comfortable user with PCs, I can give you instructions to the point without going to a detailed description.
- The steps will depend on your Operating System.
- The first occurrence (date / time) is important. So that I will be able to be specific about whether there is a Virus Infection or Not.
- Depending on your Installation methods some components or packages may or may not have been installed.
- If you have successfully completed Deep System Scans earlier then it may be a Virus and it may have jammed the Viper package (Viper is the Sunbelt AV suite).
- Fix-it has many Tools and Utilities Integrated into their package. Such as Anti Virus Protection. They use Sunbelt's Viper AV suite. So you will not be able to see any Fix-it Anti Virus packages running. This is a very common confusion among users of Fix-it. But even other packages (all most every package) which are designed to do SYSTEM MAINTENANCE do include Alien Anti Virus Programs developed by other companies. It is a well known fact. So if you have chosen the Typical installation, it may not have been installed. But it will be available with the Full installation. If you have used the Customized installation, you had the ability to Control the Installation of the Sunbelt Viper as well as other Components (one by one). So now you have to be Aware whether you have the software or not. Please go into this location and check whether its available. C:\Program Files\Common Files\AntiVirus\SBAMSvc.exe or C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBAMSvc.exe. If it exists with files in it, you have that component. Otherwise you do not have it.
- If you have any single instance of an Anti Virus Suite Installed (or any malware or a spyware remover), please REMOVE it. Otherwise two applications will definitely lead each other to a huge Conflict. Because each will think and treat them selves as Viruses. You cannot run two suites simultaneously.
- You must include the message (error or warning message) with the next reply if you were not able to solve this.
- If you have Installed or Un-installed any software during this period, it may have altered the configuration of the Viper or might have Removed Shared Components. If so, you have to do a Repair Installation using Add or Remove Programs. Or you can do an In-place Upgrade (upgrading to version 10) but you may have to Purchase License.
- Have you ever CONFIGURED the AV suite which comes with Fix-it ?
I have included Several solutions to the point form, in the Possibilities section. The problem is either you have Sunbelt Viper and it has a problem associated with or you haven't installed it. If it is available, you have to read the Message and you have to Paste it with your Next Reply. Then I can be specific.
You have to use Windows Event Viewer utility to check for further errors associated with the Software.
Please feel free to contact me again. You have to reply if you are unable to solve the issue.
- Tap Win key of your Keyboard
- Type in Run (if you use Windows 7, you can type in the Search box in the Start Menu - Not Windows Search)
- If you use Windows 7, alternatively you can type this command directly into the Search box with the Start Menu and hit enter key. Chose to run as the Administrator. For other Operating Systems, get the Run box and type the following Command and Hit Enter key.
- Go to the "Application" category.
- Check Errors (red X mark) and Warnings (Yellow ! mark) related to this Software (Fix-it or Sunbelt Viper or SBAMsvc service). If you examine any, please include it to the next Reply - You can Ignore the Warnings. If the Service cannot Start (if you see any error like that) let me know. I will describe how to start a Service manually. It might be Disabled as well. If its Available however, you will see it running in the background and in the Taskbar (bottom right corner). You MUST use Task manager every time to check whether its up and running (Right click on the Taskbar and click on Task Manager. Go to "Processes" tab and check for Services such as SBAMsvc.exe).
- Have you ever Configured the Anti Virus suite? That is a very important question. If you haven't worked with it, it may have Removed or Quarantined Viruses already. Or it may not know what to do. So please use Fix-it to Invoke it and Configure it. Ask me if you do not know how to configure the Viper AV suite.
- If you examine that you have not installed it or something Jammed it, please do a Repair Installation. Insert your Fix-it CD/DVD and go to Control Panel -> Add / Remove Programs. Click on it and check whether the "Repair" or "Change" button Available (Or Change/Remove). If so, click on it and follow the Instructions to Install or Repair the Anti Virus Component. Otherwise you may have to do an Un-installation and do a Re Installation. Make sure that your are NOT Running ANY OTHER Anti Virus Suites.
Have a good day!
Thanks for contacting Fixya!
-Lasitha (Microsoft Brand Expert)