When I tried to download javas new update it sent me a message saying windows installer is not opeating properly. I'm running Vista home basic. Can you help
Try to ensure that Windows Installer service is running, or force start it.
1.. Open Run, and type in services.msc then press Enter. Alternatively, go
to Control Panel -> Administrator Tools -> Services.
2.. Locate Windows Installer in the all install services listing.
3.. Verify that the Status is Started. If the Status column is blank,
right click on Windows Installer and select Start.
4.. If you get error trying to force start the Windows Installer service,
try to change the Startup Type to Automatic (default is Manual), and then
restart the computer.
I would suggest you to run SFC scan which would scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them.
Steps to perform SFC scan:
1. Click the Start button
2. From the Start Menu, Click All programs followed by Accessories
3. In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option
4. From the drop down menu that appears, Click on the 'Run as administrator' option
5. If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled you will be asked for authorization prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.
6. In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press Enter
7. A message will appear stating that 'the system scan will begin'
8. Be patient because the scan may take some time
9. If any files require replacing SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Vista DVD for this process to continue
10. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"
11. After the scan has completed, Close the command prompt window restart the computer and check.
Nov 09, 2009 |
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition