1) Turn on machine
2) Open Tray
3) With tray still open hold the reset until the tray closes.
4) Tap the reset once.
if there is a format disc error, it says "Please insert a Playstation
or Playstation 2 format disc." It is accompanied by a sound similar to
the browser, but with a more tense noise. This is caused by a disc
being so badly scratched that it completely fails to recognise the
format, or if there is a problem with the laser.
Auto-Diagnosis (PlayStation 2 system)
1. Turn on the system without a disc inside.
2. Once at the Main Menu, press the triangle button to enter the Version Information Screen.
3. Highlight the "Console" option, and then press the triangle button again.
4. Next, press the X button, highlight "On", and then press the X button once more.
5. Now press the circle button twice to return to the Main Menu.
6. Press the eject button on the front of the console, and insert a disc.
7. Now close the disc tray, but DO NOT reset the system.
8. Highlight the Browser option from the Main Menu, and then press the X button.
In the Browser, an icon of the disc should appear on the screen.
Highlight this icon, and then press the X button to read the disc.
10. If the auto-diagnosis is successful, the disc should load properly at this point.NOTE: The auto-diagnosis feature will return to "Off" the next time a disc is inserted.