Question about Danco Faucet Stem

1 Answer

I have a Danco 9C-23H/C stem for an American Standard shower stem replacement. I'm trying to identify where the friction ring is supposed to be placed. I've seen it in pictures going on the end where the bibb washer is, and I've also seen it in the middle of the stem between the two threaded sections.

Posted by dfedei on


1 Answer


  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    New Friend:

    An expert that has 1 follower.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 61 Answers

There is never a fiction ring at the washer end, sometimes there is a cup shaped part that holds the washer but nothing else so it must be intended to go around the stem

Posted on Jun 28, 2010


Add Your Answer


Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

9C-23H/C American Standard: Does the seat for the stem take an o-ring? I replaced the seats but the drip got worse.

There are three things to replacing a washer seat, after you turn the water off, open the valve before you replace it, most people take the stem nut out first, then putting it back over compresses it unless the valve is open.
Check the seat, this is not the rubber washer at the end of the stem. The seat is in the fixture, most can be removed with a special wrench.
Last but not least is the over tightening the valve to stop the water. Water wont stop instantly and it important to remember that. Turn the water of lightly when you are done, wait a moment to see what happens when the residual water drains. Then tighten more if necessary.

Feb 22, 2016 | American Standard Plumbing

1 Answer

How To Remove American Standard Shower Cartridge 1055

remove horseshoe shaped retaining clip. twist stem back and forth while pulling stem. if it still wont come out, you may have to buy a stem puller

Jul 23, 2014 | American Standard Home

1 Answer

Tub handle stem wont come out- 9c-23H/C 3 handle Danco for american standard

I had a similar problem when looking to replace my shower valves with 9C-23H/C units. The old ones were very hard to get out, I imagine that they were the original ones that came with the house.
Do NOT cut into the wall, that will not get you anywhere. There is a nut that fits around the plumbing end of the stem; this is likely what is stuck. I had to put my foot on the wall and pull hard on the vise grips to get the stem out. You may want to use a flashlight and see if there is any scale build up which is getting in the way. Try to scrape that away if possible. Pull straight out on the stem very firmly, but don\'t yank on it, use constant pressure and avoid up and down movement as the nut has a tight clearance to make it out.
Going behind the wall should be an absolute last resort.

Jan 15, 2013 | Plumbing

1 Answer


the rubber gasket inside of the shut off is probably loose, if it is just give it a quick tightening and that should do the trick

Aug 22, 2012 | Danco Picture Perfect American Standard...

1 Answer

Have a shower only no tub. replaced both the hot and cold stems because shower was dripping and water pressure was low. Thought if I replaced the water pressure would return. Tightened the top nut before...

Take the shower head off and see if the pressure is better or the same. If it is the same then you will need too look up-stream for blockage in the water lines. If it is better then replace or clean out the holes in the shower head. It may also have a filter screen before the shower head.

Apr 12, 2011 | Danco Faucet Stem

1 Answer

We replaced the cartridge of our one handle shower faucet and now the spigot leaks a steady stream of water

wrong stem.. the body of cartridge where the o ring seats into the body of the faucet needs to go all the way down.. try looking at new ong very carefully because they are almost identical except for this

Sep 02, 2010 | Danco Faucet Cartridge

1 Answer

Does danco offer a replacement cartridge for american standard cartridge O28610-0070A

Danco is an aftermarket supplier of plumbing repair parts for almost all major brands. Look for a danco part that looks like the part you need then check the "compatible with" list on the package.

Apr 12, 2010 | Danco Faucet Cartridge

2 Answers

I bought a replacement Danko faucet cartridge for an american standard bathroom sink and the package said hot/cold but when I installed it on the cold side the handle turns the wrong way. How do I reverse...

Thae stem you got that said hot/cold were designed to fit old style cross handle faucets. So both hot and cold turned the same way. If the cold side you are replacing turns the opposite direction then you will need to get a cold stem. Danco does make them. Ask the retailer where you purchased the H/C stem. I hope this helps..

Dec 29, 2009 | Danco Faucet Cartridge

2 Answers

Replacing stems on old hot and cold shower valves

Some times the seat gets worn anout of round. there is a tool you can buy called a faucet reamer or reseating tool. this shoul help thanks

Oct 12, 2008 | American Standard Plumbing

Not finding what you are looking for?
Danco Faucet Stem  Logo

Related Topics:

609 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Danco Home Experts

john h

Level 3 Expert

23438 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

59195 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

18455 Answers

Are you a Danco Home Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides