Although the wireless switch on your Acer does turn on/off your wireless card, you will also need to make sure that your operating system (Windows) has the wireless card enabled.
Do the following:
- Go to Control Panel (Start -> Control Panel)
- Double-click Network Connections
- Right-click on Wireless Network Connection / WLAN (you can tell it is disabled if the icon is greyed)
- Click on "Enable" (if you see Disable, your network is already enabled)
You should check the bottom-right-hand area of your screen (in the menu bar) for your wireless icon. If this is not appearing, you'll have to go into Network Connections again and do the following:
- Right-click on Wireless Network Connection (your wireless network adapter)
- Select Properties
- Click the checkbox that says "Show icon in notification area when connected"
- Now click on the Wireless Networks tab (at the top of this dialogue box)
- Scan for a network and connect to it.