the router to the factory defaults will delete any changes you have
made to the router, including any security settings. This should be used
as a last resort.
The first method involves simply pressing
a button located on the back of the router. The image below (courtesy
of Linksys) shows where the button is located.
Linksys WRT54G Reset Button Location
To reset your router, use the following steps:
- Press the reset button for 30 seconds.The settings should now be returned to the factory default settings, meaning any changes you had made would be deleted.
- Open up your Web browser and enter "192.168.1.1′ in the address bar.
- For the login, leave a blank ID and enter "admin" as the password.
The router has now been reset. Follow the steps in Securing Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router
to secure your router and create a good wireless network security.
Through the Web Administration PagesThe
second method involves logging into the Web administration pages of the
router. Use the following steps to reset the router using this method:
- Open your Web browser and enter the IP address of your router. By default, the address is "192.168.1.1′.
your user ID And password when prompted. Hopefully this has been
changed, but if it hasn't, the default is no ID and "admin" as the
- At the top of the Web page, click "Administration" and then "Factory Defaults".
- Beside "Restore Factory Defaults", click "Yes".
- Now click the "Save Settings" button at the bottom of the Web page.
Your WRT54G wireless router should now be reset to the factory defaults. Ensure you follow the steps outlined in Securing Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router
to secure your router and maintain your wireless network security.
post has provided two methods you can use to reset your Linksys WRT54G
Wireless-G router. If you are having problems with your router, try
resetting the router to the factory defaults, and then make the changes
again and see if the router starts working again.