This is the response I wrote to your friend when he inquired about your browser hijacker. (see here.)
Have you tried installing MBAM and running a scan since doing the system restore? I would recommend it, just to be safe. Or you could follow the steps to create a post of your HijackThis logs and have somebody knowledgable take a look at it.
McAfee is not one of the highest rated AV apps out there these days, though few can prevent you from unsafe browsing habits. See AV Comparatives for a 3rd party review of the various AV programs and how they stack up against one another. Avira is a good free one, if you're interested. All of them should be supplemented by a good antispyware program, like Defender or SuperAntiSpyware, and an occasional online scan.
Finally, have a look at this page, this page
, and this one
for some good information about spyware & malware in general, and safe browsing in particular.
I'm glad to hear that you were able to restore safely out of that situation.
Once your system is safely scanned and shipshape, you should create a new restore point, label it as safe, then remove all the older restore points by following these instructions.
That will remove even a restore point that still contains the BHO you had problems with. If you find yourself downloading things from the net, uncertain or not of the content, it's a good practice to set restore points ahead of time to create a safe haven, just in case. The complete site for more info on system restore is here.
I hope this information allows you to resolve this issue. If you need further assistance, please post back with a comment to this thread.
If I've managed to answer your question or solve a problem, please take just a moment to rate this post....thanks!