Question about Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

Volume control needed


Am I likely to find a 30K ohm twin volume pot (two knobs on a co-axial shaft) for what must be a vintage amp? It's a Denon PMA-450.

Many thanks

Posted by on

  • m4m5driver Jan 24, 2008

    Thanks but none found on Ebay - I had already looked.

    I have found a source though from Charles Hyde & Son Ltd
    According to their stock list they can supply in 7 to 14 days although for a analogue manual volume control it's not cheap at over £28 all in!
    I'm now waiting for the part to arrive.




1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Expert
  • 107 Answers

Have yoou tried to find in ebay.? they should have one there.

Posted on Jan 24, 2008


1 Suggested Answer


6ya staff

  • 2 Answers


Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Low volume one speaker

It seems likely that the pot (volume control) is dirty. with a slider you can normally get fluid down the side of the knob, your's is a rotary control and you sometimes can do it round the shaft of the pot but more often have to spray it in where the connections go into the pot. You'll need some contact cleaner spray which you can get online or from an electronics store, get it onto the pot track and then take the pot to each end of its travel a few times, this'll probably sort it out until next time. If you're taking it apart it might be worth just getting a new and better pot and soldering that in if you are hand with a soldering iron. The ones in Mackies nowdays are pretty sh1t.

Feb 08, 2014 | Mackie MR5 MR5 Reference Monitor

2 Answers

Mackie 450, signal light off, Sound only comes out when amp. turned up above 75%, when usually used at 40-50%. too loud at 75% and UP, does not Work at ALL below 75%. only 2 years old, with 25 uses... i...

Doesn't sound like a fuse. They don't fix themselves when you reach 75%.

Try shaking the volume knob while in the 30-50% range and/or try (with the power off) rotating the volume knob numerous times from 0% to 100%. If when you plug it back in it responds ANY differently, you might have a bad volume potentiometer. If when you shake the knob you hear static or intermittent sound, you have a bad volume pot.

The only other thing I can think of is that the wiper of the volume pot is not in contact with the windings inside the pot until you reach the 75% mark. When the volume comes on at 75%, does it start off kind of "static" then come in loud and clear? Also try this.... adjust the volume pot to 74% (or when the sound just begins to come on). At this point shake the knob. If you hear static, replace the volume pot.

Unplugging it when still on shouldn't cause any damage... in fact it probably hasn't considering it works at 75% plus.

Mar 14, 2008 | Audio Players & Recorders

2 Answers

Volume knob on a juno d 61 key synth by roland sounds scratchy like it`s dirty. a co band member tried to spray contact cleaner on it but it got worse. also tried to remove the knob but stopped before...

Oh great... WORSE thing you can do is to spray in Deoxit or Blue shower contact cleaner inot pots or faders!!!! It destroys the lube on the resistance element !!! The ONLY place to use those products is on metal switch contacts.

You have ONE chance to try and restore it without replacing it...

Go to Home Depot and in the electrical dept find a can of CRC226 (about $2.70 Bluish can) Use ONLY this product CRC226 as there are other CRC products there that are NOT applicable to this problem...

Now with the spout flush this down where the other cleaner had been put and work the control... Worse case is if you can't get enough into it you might have to open the case to get at a place you can spray into the pot where the lead wires go into it...

I use CRC226 to restore volume and gain pots in many guitar amps that become noisy. Usually I do it from inside the amps where I can get to the slot where the leads go into the pot. The product is for electrical stuff and is a water displacer but not gunky like WD40... never use that product in controls or switches... it is essentially fish oil. CRC226 is also goo to protect tools from rust.

I hope you can fix your unit without replacing the pot...

First though, flood a bunch in and then TURN the keyboard upside down so the CRC226 floods over the resistance element inside the control and work the control.

In case you need to replace the pot here is the info and part number from Roland.:


Here is an Avnet catalog page but they only do large orders of 1200 which is 1199 more than you need.

The pot is a Res POT 10K Ohm 20% 1/20W 6mm Pin Snap-In It will be a "B" taper audio type.

Here is link to your service manual for the Juno D:

Feb 12, 2011 | Roland Juno-D

1 Answer

On my squier strat the volume doesnt come out through theamp at all[i know it's not the amp or cable cuz i've hooked others things up to it to make sure]. Everytime i push and hold the volume knob at 10...

It is not clear if the volume knob you are talking about is in the amp or the guitar... SINCE you said you verified the amp is OK I have to assume the volume control you are talking about is in the guitar and my answer is based on that...

I SUSPECT that the resistance element and/or the wiper in the volume pot is damaged. One other possibility is the soldering of a wire to the volume pot may be bad. If you are competent with a soldering iron you could replace the pot yourself or take it to a competent guitar shop for repair. I would myself suggest you open the electronics and look for anything obviously wrong. I have ALSO seen one other problem where one lead of a pot is touching the CONDUCTIVE paint in the cavity where the controls are. If the shaft nut becomes loose and the pot slightly rotates this can happen, grounding out the signal.

Jan 07, 2011 | Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Guitar Combo...

1 Answer

Power amp 2 channel connection to Denon a/v amp

You don't mention which AR amp we're talking about.

I think you're trying to say you want to know where to extract the front channels from the Denon to feed the AR amp. Right?

That would be an output on the Denon to an input on the AR.

Basically, take an RCA cable pair from the Denon's Pre Out F & L and connect them to the (presumed) L & R inputs on the unnamed amp.

Set the AR amp at a reasonably high volume (if it has a volume knob) and leave it alone. Run through the speaker level adjustments on the Denon to match the Front to everything else and it will control the volume going forward.

May 28, 2010 | Denon AVR-3300 Receiver

2 Answers

Volume knob only increases volume

Try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the volume potentiometer - i.e. take off the volume knob, then spray the cleaner at the base of the plastic stalk.

Feb 22, 2010 | Denon CDR-M30 CD Recorder

1 Answer

I'm missing the volume pot and dont know which one to buy. Its a champion 30 dsp fender guitar amp. Thanks

There are two volume controls. One is "drive volume" the other just "volume"

The plain volume control is a 50K ohm, linear taper.(A) old marking

The Drive volume is a 100K ohm Log taper.(C) old marking

Find suitablel parts at or or find a Febder repair center to order the part.

From other than Fender, You may have to shorten the shaft with a hacksaw to match your needs.

Jan 10, 2010 | Fender Fm25dsp 1x10' Guitar Combo...

1 Answer


hi, ya, someimes the POT i.e the volume controller variable resistor loses its contacts with the carbon strip. tru using some switch cleaning solution( NoN Acidic) to clean the POT,let me know

Dec 07, 2006 | Yamaha GX-70 CD Shelf System

Not finding what you are looking for?
Audio Players & Recorders Logo

Related Topics:

104 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Audio Players & Recorders Experts


Level 3 Expert

5699 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

76171 Answers


Level 3 Expert

85206 Answers

Are you an Audio Player and Recorder Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides