Question about Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD Recorder
My DVD recorder was about 20 minutes into recording an old family video tape of a New Year's celebration recorded on VHS in 1988 when I got a screen message saying "recording cannot continue because material is protected" and the recorder stopped recording. How can this happen? The VHS tape was recorded on a home videocam and edited 20 years ago on a home video editing software.
This is probably caused by an irregular magnetic encoding pattern being generated by the tape itself. If the DVD recorder does not fully recognise the code, it may incorrectly interpret it as copy protected. If there is any tape flutter or there are tape edits, these can contribute to the problem. In addition to this magnetic imprinting can occur on old tapes that have been stored for a number of years without being spooled. basically wrong bits of the tape get magnetised. You can sometimes hear an echo on old tape recordings caused by imprinting.
You could try the following:
1) If available, try using a different video machine to play back and record from.
2) Whatever video machine you use, put your tape in, fully fast forward and rewind a couple of times, then try your recording again. This is particularly important if you haven't used the tape for some time.
3) If it fails again, check to see if it always fails at the same point.
4) If it does, try winding forward a little and then try to resume recording.
5) If you can record it means that a short section of tape is giving a spurious code to your dvd recorder and confusing it.
6) Use a re-recordable dvdrw to make a master. You won't keep wasting discs if the recording stops. You will also be able to produce another dvd from your master and edit it if your recording ends up in a number of segments.
7) Always use the highest quality setting possible when producing a master.
8) If all else fails, if you have a friend with another dvd recorder, maybe try that.
Posted on Jan 30, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 18, 2014 | Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD Recorder
Jan 13, 2013 | Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD Recorder
May 07, 2009 | Panasonic DMR-ES40V DVD-Video Recorder
Mar 07, 2009 | Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD Recorder
Jan 30, 2009 | Panasonic DMRES15 DVD Recorder
Jan 26, 2009 | Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD Recorder
Aug 03, 2008 | Televison & Video
Nov 04, 2007 | Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD Recorder
Oct 13, 2007 | GoVideo Home Audio&Video: Go-Video DVD...
Aug 26, 2007 | Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD Recorder
203 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!