CUSTOMER LEARN METHOD
The Customer Learn feature is only available on domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a U.S. country code designator. This programming method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code designator, the Secured Access Method MUST be used to program new or additional valid keys to the SKREEM/WCM. The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:
- Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
- Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the On position.
- After the ignition switch has been in the On position for longer than three seconds , but no more than fifteen seconds , cycle the ignition switch back to the Off position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the On position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within fifteen seconds of removing the first valid key.
- About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.
- Within sixty seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the Off position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the On position.
- About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, the security indicator will stop flashing, stay on solid for three seconds , then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKREES/ SKIS will immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode. After the ignition is cycled the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key.
The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure.
Each of these steps must be repeated and completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key that is to be programmed. If the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKREEM/ WCM will exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The SKREEM/ WCM will also automatically exit the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight (8) valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position for more than about fifty seconds
- If an attempt is made to start the vehicle while in the Customer Learn mode (security indicator flashing), the SKREES/SKIS will respond as though the vehicle were being started with an invalid key. In other words, the engine will stall after about two seconds of operation. No faults will be set.
- Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed as a valid key for use on any other vehicle.