Patton PRH11 Buzzer Sounds on HIGH after 2 minutes
I have a Patton PRH11 which is looks exactly like the HRH316. It is a 1500W heater. When I turn it on High in a 12x12 room with a temperature below 32F Degrees, after 1-2 minutes the buzzer will sound, will turn off the heating and must be turned off for 2-4 minutes. It will also do this in Low, IF, the termperature select dial is set too high rather than turn off to cool down. What can be done to fix?
Re: Patton PRH11 Buzzer Sounds on HIGH after 2 minutes
There is a round sensor under the heating elements which sets off the alarm when it thinks it is overheating on the PRH11. Unfortunately, a dirty sensor will fool it into reacting like it is overheated. I cleaned the sensor which was dark and revealed it to be a lighter goldish maybe brass in its original color. If your sensor is dark, it will continue to trip the alarm for overheating and will need to be replaced. If you were lucky like I was and can clean it, the problem should be resolved and it will operate like normal until it gets dirty again. This procedure lasted for 3 days and I had to clean it again. I believe I left the dirt on too long and now my sensor has tarnished plus I live in a rural area with significant dust requiring this recleaning every few days. I only used a damp paper towel with water to clean. Cleaning may work better with alcohol or a tarnish removal solution.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
My Patton PUH682 utility heater from 2011 is otherwise in excellent condition but Auto Safety Shut-Off seems to be a design problem. My overheat sensor quickly shut off the unit when surrounding air was cool. It is inside the bottom of the fan box wired between the on/off potentiometer and heating coils.
I identified it by turning on the heater and watched the metal contacts separate as it tripped. On my unit, the defective overheat sensor is hardwired. Since it was otherwise useless as a heater, I decided to jerry-rig it and hope for the best. I pried back the sheet metal edge of the fan box and wrapped the sensor with electrical tape. Then I took a very small squeezable metal paper clip and lined it with electrical tape. I clamped it over the overheat sensor and it fits perfectly to prevent the metal plates from separating. Now the heater works the way it should. The cable, coils and plug don't overheat on Hot setting and it runs continuously.
These heaters all have safety devises in them some for tip over and all for over heating. Your problem sounds as if it has a bad over heating sensor. These will have two wires one in one out, it is usually a positive wire. When they sense that the heater is to hot it shuts it down upon cooling it allows the heater to turn back on. The tip switch does the same if upright it turns on if tipped it turns it off. They are mechanical and thermal switches and they do go bad. These can be jumped out to trouble shoot the problem but I would not run it with out these safety devices in it.
Either the air entering the heater is to cold and unable to satisfy the thermostat or the contacts inside the thermostat have “welded” together, or other faulty internal wiring which could keep the heater running indefinitely. Take it back to where ever you purchased it from or throw it away, that could be a fire hazard.
This heater was the determined cause of my total loss house fire. I thought the company would atleast help me find some where else to live, they seem to care. But, as of lately they are doing nothing.
I am told this heater-(prh11- 2008 model- purchased at walmart for about $27.00)
- Had wiring that wasn't up to standards
-1/10,000 units cause fires
-something wrong with the heating element-stops working
- wouldn't stand level
-fires like mine have happened to a few other people
This came directly from a person at Jarden corporation(aka patton-sunbeam)