Question about Brother MFC-8460N All-In-One Printer
Does it say "No Paper in Tray 1" or "No Paper in MP Tray"? If its saying "No Paper in MP Tray" then it is attempting to pull paper from the Manual Feed tray on the top of the printer rather than the main tray at the bottom. You can fix this from your computer- when you go to print and the print dialogue box comes comes up, pick your Brother off of the list and select "Properties". Scroll all the way down to where it says "Paper Tray" and change to "Tray 1". Then print.
If that's not it, then one of the above suggestions is likely going to help you.
Posted on Feb 12, 2013
Could be a tab or spring broken off of the feed tray, dirty feed roller can cause that error when paper doesn't feed. Paper guide too tight so that paper can't lift to the feed roller also a possibility. Sensor above paper stack out of position.. many possibilities.
Posted on Nov 06, 2009
SOURCE: Brother MFC 8460n paper pickup
Please follow these steps to assure you have made sure there is no jam.
1. Press the cover release lever to open the front cover.
2. Take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
3. Open the back cover.
4. Pull the tabs at the left and right hand sides toward you to open the fuser cover (1).
5. Using both hands, gently pull the jammed paper out of the fuser unit.
6. Close the back cover.
7. Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back in the machine.
8. Close the front cover.
9. Press the cover release lever to open the front cover.
10. Take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
11. Hold down the lock lever on the right and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit. Take out the jammed paper if there is any inside the drum unit.
12. Put the toner cartridge back into the drum unit until you hear it lock into place. If you put it in properly, the lock lever will lift automatically.
13. Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back in the machine.
14. Close the front cover. Pull the paper tray completely out of the machine. Use both hands to slowly pull out the jammed paper.
15. Press the cover release lever to open the front cover.
16. Slowly take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly. The jammed paper may be pulled out with the toner cartridge and drum unit assembly, or this may release the paper so you can pull it out of the paper tray opening.
17. Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back in the machine.
18. Close the front cover.
20. Put the paper tray firmly back in the machine.
21. Take out any paper from the ADF (automatic document feeder) that is not jammed. Open the ADF cover. Carefully pull out the jammed document to the left. Check for and remove any small pieces of paper stuck in the machine. A small piece of paper stuck in ADF will cause a document jam.
22. Close the ADF cover. Press Stop/Exit. If the Document is jammed under the document cover. Take out any paper from the ADF that is not jammed. Lift the document cover. Pull out any jammed documents to the right. Again, carefully check for and remove any small pieces of paper.
23. Close the document cover. Press Stop/Exit. If the Document is jammed at the output tray. Take out any paper from the ADF that is not jammed. Pull the jammed document out to the right.
24. Press Stop/Exit. If the Document is jammed in the duplex slot (only for machines which support Duplex printing). Take out any paper from the ADF that is not jammed. Pull the jammed document out to the right.
25. Press Stop/Exit. Make a Copy to test. Before placing your document(s) in the ADF verify the error message "Document Jam" in no longer displayed on the LCD. If the error message continues to appear on the LCD, please contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us". Verify the ADF document support (located on the top of the ADF) is pulled out. Verify the document(s) are between 5.8 to 8.5 in. wide and 5.8 to 14in. long. Make sure the documents are inserted face up in the ADF, top edge first. The ADF can hold up to 50 pages and feeds each sheet individually. Use standard 20 lb (80 g/m²) paper and always fan the pages before putting them in the ADF.
DO NOT use paper that is curled, wrinkled, folded, ripped, stapled, paper-clipped, pasted or taped. DO NOT use cardboard, newspaper or fabric. Make sure documents written with ink are completely dry. Adjust the paper guides to fit the width of your documents. This ensures the document(s) will feed straight, preventing jams. Make a copy listed below:
For MFC users :
For DCP users :
Press Copy located below the LCD and then press Start.
Hope it helps.
Thank you for using FixYa.
Posted on Jul 06, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
May 21, 2014 | Brother MFC-8460N All-In-One Printer
Jan 31, 2011 | Brother MFC-8460N All-In-One Printer
Dec 24, 2009 | Brother MFC-8460N All-In-One Printer
Jan 10, 2009 | Brother MFC-8460N All-In-One Printer
Jan 06, 2009 | Brother MFC-8460N All-In-One Printer
Jul 25, 2008 | Brother MFC-8460N All-In-One Printer
Jan 10, 2008 | Brother MFC-8460N All-In-One Printer
1,672 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!