1) I posted Brinks 44-1020 manualhttp://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/Brinks-44-1020-manual.pdf
Folks can order Brinks manuals from hamptonproducts.com
2) Manual shows phone number for defects 800-562-5625
3) I test timers, and some arrive defective, and people occasionally tell fixya they got 3 bad timers in a row. I tell them buy different model: for example buy quality timers at Lowes and Home Depot
4) Timer manuals have more words than allowed for free answer, but I suggest you write out steps shown in manual. Most timers have same basic steps so
once you know how one timer works, all other timers work same way. This
will eliminate human error as possible cause.
5) Here is a list of common problems with timers:
If plug-in timer doesn't work
a) Check receptacle for power
b) Check lamp is turned ON
c) Check bulb is good.
d) Check tabs or pins are set
e) Check override switch pushed fully in position
f) Try timer in different plug and with different lamp
g) Test circuit with inexpensive circuit analyzer from hardware
h) Don't exceed maximum wattage
i) Programmable: check for overlapping programs, and conflicting days.
j) Programmable: write out programming steps
k) Outdoor with photo cell > test with black tape over photo eye
l) Turn photo eye away from light source
Add a comment for more free help.
Also take advantage of fixya phone service.
For a price, expert speaks with you over phone while you work on timer or any do-it-yourself project.
Fixya is always less expensive than a service call.