Hi Julie! If the cleaner is not picking up the dirty water this usually means something is not sealed off properly. Try these steps below to restore suction to your cleaner.
1. Remove the clean water tank. Recline the handle & let the handle lie down on the floor.
2. Remove the dirty water tank. Check that the dirty water tank cap is on the dirty water tank and tightened closed.
3. Clear the filter screen of any hair or debris.
4. Remove the nozzle. Clean the nozzle of any hair or debris.
5. Located on the machine behind the nozzle is a 2nd filter screen. Clean it of any hair or debris.
6. Replace the nozzle.
7. Replace the dirty water tank. Press down on all sides so that it is flush to the cleaner base.
Give it a try! The suction should be restored to your cleaner. If not I have included a video link where you may view these instructions. Hope this helps! Loss of Suction Won pick up Hoover Max Extract 77 FH50230 FH50222...