Are you thinking of making the switch from your current accounting software to QuickBooks Desktop? The QuickBooks Conversion Tool makes it easier to import data, account balances and transactions.
The Conversion Tool is a free program with a straightforward set-up process that imports your data into a new QuickBooks company file. It allows you to bring lists, account balances and transactions into QuickBooks. It also allows you to customize what is imported and creates a log file of the conversion process for you to review and keep for your records.
You Might Also Like
CASE-STUDYCase Study: Organizational Transformation
Read More Please keep in mind you should always make a back-up before attempting to convert your company file.
Below are instructions for converting to QuickBooks desktop from two common software products in the marketplace.
Switching from Peachtree/Sage to QuickBooks
If you are currently using Peachtree/Sage 2010 or later and switching to QuickBooks desktop version:
First, set up the data access credentials.
Second, select your Peachtree/Sage company file.
- Launch the Peachtree/ Sage application and open your company file.
- Go to Main Menu -> Maintain -> Users -> Setup Security and then click Data Access/Crystal Reports
- Click With the Following Login Information
- Set your password by clicking Change
- After the password is set, close Peachtree/Sage
Finally, convert your company file.
- Download and install the QuickBooks Conversion Tool from the Intuit website. In order for you to use the tool, you have to Run as Administrator. Right-click the QuickBooks Conversion Tool icon and select Run as Administrator.
- Select Sage/Peachtree company file by clicking the Browse In the Database Name window select your company name and click OK. Enter your password and click Next.
Switching from Quicken to QuickBooks
If you are currently using Quicken 2011 or older and switching to QuickBooks desktop version:
- Select the QuickBooks version you are converting to, browse the folder where you'd like to keep your QuickBooks file and click Next.
- In the new window, verify your information is accurate, and click the Convert File The conversion process will begin. It may take some time, depending on the amount of data you have. You will see the "Finished!" message once the file has been converted.
- Open your new QuickBooks file and verify everything was completed correctly.
- Run a Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss statements from both QuickBooks and Peachtree/Sage and compare - investigate any discrepancies.
- You can also check for any failed transactions in the log file located at C:\Users\Yourusername\My Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks ConversionTool\.
Please contact me or another of Kaufman Rossin's QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisors for help with converting to QuickBooks.
- Download and run the QuickBooks Conversion Tool. (Use the same tool version as the QuickBooks desktop version you are converting to.) Note: If you are converting the same year of Quicken to the same year of QuickBooks, you don't need to run this tool. You will only use the tool if your QuickBooks desktop version is newer than your Quicken version.
- Launch the Quicken Converter and click Next.
- Accept terms in the license agreement, click Next and then Install.
- Select Launch Quicken Converter and click Finish.
- In the pop-up window, select the first option, "I am transferring data from Quicken for Windows," and click Get Started.
- Select option "Open a data file located on this computer" and browse for your file by clicking the Select File button, clicking Convert and OK.
- Click Save to save your updated Quicken file. Then click Exit.Your Quicken.QDF file is now upgraded.
- Next, launch your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to File -> Utilities -> Convert, select From Quicken. Then, select the Quicken .QDF file you are converting. (Your upgraded file should be located on your desktop in a folder named Q12Files, Q13Files, Q14Files or Q15Files.)
- Follow the QuickBooks prompts to convert your file.