I have an ipod classic 160 gig but keep gettin the error code 1439 wen i try to restore what should i do?
Hi, now, when you restored your 80 gB classic, did you upgrade the firmware to 1.1.2?
If so, do not.
I refuse as my firmware 1.1.1 works the ipod great and the only trouble started (twice) on trying to update the firmware.
Try a hard factory reset:support.apple.com/kb/HT1339
Then, charge fully with AC charger (this was recommended to me twice in an Apple store)
After wards, use USB to connect to your computer and do not allow it to upgrade to 1.1.2
(See incidental article about ipod touch: rupertgee.wordpress.com/2007/12/02/downgraderestore-ipod-touch-firmware-to-version-111-using-os-x/ this might even work on ipod classic - you've got nothing to loose); also have a look at Apple's updates: apple.com/support/downloads/
This seemed to work for me:
1. Download latest version of iTunes
2. disconnect from internet (I did this by removing my wireless adapter).
3. Put iPod into disk mode (hold select and play until display says "disk mode" at the top).
4. Connect iPod to computer
5. You should be prompted to restore, click yes.
6. Message will appear saying can't connect to internet, do you want to restore to latest version "2.0.1" instead? (Something along those lines).
7. It should start restoring and work this time.
Hope this helps.