Our 2 year old MW1030WA microwave suddenly does not work. It does not allow us to press anything on the keypad and the display continuously shows 8888 right now, sometimes it beeps occasionally with a request to enter a quantity. Please help. Thanks.
I may have a problem with not knowing how to unlock the child lock. Instruction manual is long gone with many Navy moves. But after reading one of the guru comments, I'm wondering if the new house cleaning team sprayed the keypad incorrectly yesterday.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
It is more than likely the magnetron is fried, to replace fuse! unplug microwave oven, remove top, "several screws" look to the right to the keypad control board, look down to a printed circuit board, clipped fuse should be near by, pop it out and replace with same current rating, assemble before testing, "lethal voltages present"
The keypad itself is not available as a separate part, so the control panel frame with keypad would have to be replaced.
This is actually a pretty simple DIY job.
You can part number
from the Pros
here for $114.62
plus shipping (that compares to
You can also find helpful exploded view diagrams at that link.
our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical
over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes. Then disconnect your keypad strip as shown in the photo below, then remove the screws that hold your circuit board in the old
Then carefully (since the display is made of glass) move your circuit board to the new frame, and reassembly is the reverse of
happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful
rating of our answer.
1 Press the Sound button. The display shows "ON".
("START" will flash)
2 Press the Sound button to turn the volume off. The display shows:
"OFF".("START" will flash)
3 Press Start. The display returns to the time of day.
Lastly, you can find a copy of the manual here:
F6 —Microwave Relay Failure: Check the microwave relay.
The F6 error code which is flashing on your microwave refers to a faulty relay. However, I would suggest that you first try to run a diagnostic (which you may not be able to, but it is beneficial if it works). Here is how:
The microwave oven may be provided with a self diagnostic routine that can be operated through the touch pad keyboard. To enter the self-diagnostic routine:
1.While pressing the CANCEL keypad:
a) Open the oven door.
b) Unplug the microwave oven for 2-seconds and plug it back in.
c) Release the CANCEL keypad and close the oven door.
NOTE: The humidity sensor test results will appear on the display after 8-seconds.If the tests are successful, "OK " will be displayed. If one or more of the tests fail, "ERR " will be displayed.. 2.When a keypad is pressed, a number according to the test chart will be displayed. When no keypad is pressed, a blank "—" is displayed.
If you want to try to fix it your self, Always remember Electricity is dangerous and should be treated with respect.
Microwaves are very dangerous, they can still shock you even unplugged!!
Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it. With the microwave unplugged.
For that model, the child lock is activated and deactivated by holding 0 then pressing 2. But that doesn't sound like your trouble.
You may have a keypad which is defective, damaged or may have gotten wet or otherwise contaminated.
Moisture and contamination can be caused by not using the fan when boiling on the stove top, direct spraying of cleaners, by storing the microwave in an unheated garage or shed, or infestation.
I warn my customers to never spray cleaner directly onto the microwave keypad, since the liquid can get inside and "lock up" or even ruin the keypad or controller.
If this happens it must dry out or be dried out, unless the moisture has gotten too deep.
Apply an alcohol-based cleaner (such as the purple kind) to a cloth (since paper towels can scratch) and gently wipe it off.
I suggest to my customers that they NEVER use any ammonia-based cleaner (like the blue stuff) on a microwave, since the ammonia will crack and distort polycarbonate plastics.
If the keypad or controller has gotten wet, it can sometimes be carefully blown out with compressed air or heat.
Another thing is to unplug the power at the mains for several seconds por minutes. Plug it back in and see if it works. A reset may do it. At power-up, the display should flash or show a text message. If not, a key may be stuck due to a foreign substance or a defective keypad.
If certain keys are not working, there may be some foreign substance at the point where the green or blue plastic strip from the keypad plugs into the circuit board.
To check that, it will need disassembly, and we have *critical* safety & disassembly info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
1. Be sure the oven is disconnected from the power line while you are taking it apart.
2. The keypad connection is the green or blue translucent plastic strip that plugs into a connector near the edge of the board.
3. There are two tiny tabs (one on each side) of the connector that you can gently pull up on to unlock the connector.
4. Then the keypad strip will lift out. Clean both sides of the end of the strip with a pencil eraser, then with alcohol-based cleaner if you like, but do not use
ammonia-based cleaner. Dry the end of the strip.
5. Put the keypad strip back in, making sure both sides are down fully.
6. While holding the strip down, push the connector back down to lock it.
7. Try the keys again with the door closed.
It sounds like a shorted keypad. This can be due to age/wear or due to moisture.
If the unit is sevewral years old or has ben used a lot, then age and wear can be suspected.
Moisture is most often due to spraying cleaner directly on the keypad, which allows it to leak into the works. Always spray your cleaner on a soft cloth and then wipe the keypad clean.
Moisture can also get in if the microwave is mounted above a stove and a lot of boiling is done without adequate ventilation, usually via the exhaust or hood fan. This fan should be on when cooking on the range top.
In some cases, there may be some deposits on the keypad strip where it goes into the connector on the control circuit board. Sometimes that can be cleaned by unplugging then replugging the strip.
Could it be that you're not setting the manual according to the instructions in the owner's manual?
The manual is olnine at http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200507/20050727140356453_DE68-01945A[GB].pdf
I have attached a scren shot from the manual which shows the clock setting procedure.
Maybe it's as simple as this.