Year built - 2004. Recently there has been an odor while microwave is running. Smells like overheated or melting wiring and does appear to be from the carousel. Is this a common problem? Is this the problem (the carousel needs replacement)? With the breaker off is it safe to remove/replace it if needed? What else could it be?
Spent way too much to just buy a new one and repair companies cost too much.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Betty, it sounds like you might have 2 problems and the power shutting off could be an end result of the metal odor you described. The power shutting off, more than likely is just a blown fuse. That is usually a simple and in-expensive repair. The metal odor could come from either your magnetron or from the high voltage transformer. Either one of those is going to be a rather expensive repair and if repair part stores in your area are anything like in my town, unless you repair them for a living or know someone who does, you can have some difficulty in getting those parts. Sorry for the bad news, but it might be simpler to just replace the microwave.
If this is a GE Advantium series microwave, the control panel can be locked to prevent children from manipulating the controls. To lock or unlock, press and hold the CLEAR/OFF button for 5 seconds. These instructions are included on page 36 of the owner's manual listed here:
there is a fuse located underneath the outer cover, its called a ceramic fuse and is of cartridge type about 1" long by 1/8" diameter and has a white body and 2 silver ends and you can take it to a hardware store they have them but make sure to get correct amperage rating 15 or 20 amp
Unplug the microwave for at least 3 minutes, then plug it back in, and BEFORE SETTING THE CLOCK, press and hold power level and start for three seconds. This should flash "demo mode off". Set the clock as normal. Enjoy!