Issue Activation fails when you attempt to install and launch a legacy Serious Magic product.
Reason Adobe has chosen not to renew
the hosting account for the Serious Magic web site. The hosting
contract expired on Nov. 3, 2008. Activation for Serious Magic products
that rely on this server is no longer supported by Adobe.
SolutionDo one of the following:
1. Upgrade to the latest Adobe-branded version of the product.Note:
DV Rack is now Adobe OnLocation. The most recent version of Adobe Ultra
was Ultra CS3. Ultra was not included in CS4, however, color keying is
available in After Effects CS4. A tutorial on basic color keying is
2. Download and run the Serious Magic legacy product activation tool.
Instructions for SMActivate.exe:
- Extract the .zip file to a convenient location.
- Double-click SMActivate.exe. The application will display a list of Serious Magic products to be activated.
- Click OK.
Your product is now activated and ready to use. If no qualifying
products are detected, it will display the message: "No legacy Serious
Magic applications detected."
This change affects the following Serious Magic products:
- Ultra NTSC VxxV
- Ultra PAL XxxX
- Ultra 2 PAL BPWB
- Ultra 2 NTSC BNWB
- Visual Communicator 1 Studio SxxS or TxxT
- Visual Communicator 2.0 CxBC
- Visual Communicator 2.0 Web CxWC
- Visual Communicator 2.0 Pro CxPC or CxQC
- Visual Communicator 2.0 Studio CxSC or CxTC
- DV Rack DxxD
DV Rack Express requires a special version of the activation tool, available here
. This affects the following Serious Magic product:
For DV Rack Express, do the following:
- Extract the .zip file to a convenient location
- Double-click SMActivate.exe
- Select the checkbox for DV Rack Express.
- Click Activate. This will create a file, smact21.db, in the C: root.
- Move that file to c:\program files\serious magic\dv rack express\bin
The following Serious Magic products do not use activation, or use alternative activation and are not affected:
- DV Rack 2.0*
* DV Rack 2.0 uses activation through a third party company named Softwrap, which resides on a server that is not affected. http://www.softwrap.com/
Ultra CS3 is an Adobe product and is not affected.