Recovery (code2) Archos 604wifi
OK, here is a really quick thing to solve your problem.
Basically you have to open up the device, and its that simple.
1. take out the battery
2. remove the two screws closest to the "kick out leg" at the back of the archos. *removing the battery shows the screws.
3.on the right hand side of the archos when looking from the back, you will see 4 screws. You need to undo the two screws that are closest to the back of the archos. NOT THE OTHERS NEARER THE FRONT - as they are for the screen!!!
4. remove the now loosened pannel. (you may need to use something flat to wedge it off).
5. take out the hardrive. (it should bend over from the top, it is connected by a strip)
6. the problem for me was that the strip wasnt connected to the archos properly, e.g. it was loose)
It can even come out if it is too loose.
7. don't worry if it does come out, but that is why its not working.
8. the strip should fit under the little piece of plastic on the motherboard. (like two thin rectangles, one is black and it has a white one above it)
9. the black thin rectangle can come off, try to do this, but its delicate so be careful.
10. once off you can re-align the strip/ribbon on the end of the hardrive under the whhite rectangle and also under where the black rectangle previously was.
11. once aligned place th black triangle back on top of the strip in line with the white rectangle. the black rectangle should push and click into place, securing the strip in place.
12. once this is done the deivce should be fixed.
13. carefully put everything back in place and re-insert all of the screws (be careful with the small screws)
14. press the reset button under the battery and then re-insert the battery.
15. turn on the deivce and see if it works.
16. finally if the deivce still doesn't work then you either didn't line up the strip properly. Or something else is wrong e.g. complete hardrive faliure, or another connection problem.
I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU, IT TOOK ME 4 TRIES UNTIL IT WORKED. BUT THANK GOD IT DID.
MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR DEVICE FILES (ALL OF THEM INCLUDING SYSTEM FILES) ONTO YOUR COMPUTER.
good luck, and I will not be held responsible for anything you do, it is intirely up to you.
p.s. worst case senario is that you have to buy an Archos 5. Lucky bum, they are amazing.