Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burnt cinnamin bun with waxed paper on top

Hi there!

I mega burned my cinnamon bun and cannot get the smell out of the microwave let alone the house! Opening windows, spraying air freshner and lighting candles for 3 days has not helped! Yesterday I put baking soda in the closed microwave. Still hasn't worked.

What can I do?

Thanks,

Monica Shore

Posted by mshore on

Ad

1 Answer

William Miller

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Microwave Ovens Master
  • 9,179 Answers

Boiling water with baking soda then with vinegar seem to be the best tips.

I would do a Google search for "microwave smell" and you'll find a ton of links.

Posted on Nov 26, 2007

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

How do you get rid of burn food smell in your home?


Get some nice simmering potpouri with a nice cinnamon smell and boil it in a bowl of water in the unit. Does pretty good job, then just regular cooking over time will take it away too.

Oct 10, 2017 | In Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My microwave is steaming and my whole house stinks. how do i stop the smell and is my microwave broken or is it alright to use?


I guess the question is, what kind of smell is it? Is it like rotten food? Is it like burned wires? If you are not sure, ask a friend to help you identify the smell. Any burned smell is telling you "Get rid of the machine RIGHT NOW before it catches fire".
Other smells that are not so bad can sometimes be helped with a good "airing out" and the addition of a pile or box of baking soda inside to absorb the smell. Do not turn the machine on with the baking soda inside. Air it out outside or in an area that is not living space.
God bless your efforts.

Jun 01, 2015 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Whirlpool over microwave combo has burning smell in microwave


Probably fragments of food burning on the waveguide cover.

Jul 31, 2017 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burnt fish smell in microwave


Mix vinegar and water in a small container, set timer for 60 seconds and start the microwave, when it starts to steam it will bond to the interior, at that point dis-engauge microwave oven, if smell is still present open a small box of baking soda let sit for 24 hours in the oven before use.

Jun 02, 2012 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Wire burning smell from Microware


unplug it.....if on fire, use dry chen extinguisher, if still persistent, dial 911 n get out of the house

Apr 23, 2010 | Thermador MBBS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Get rid of burned smell in Microwave


I decided to buy a new microwave. I am resistant to paying a monthly fee to FixYa as I have so few "breakdowns" in my house each year.

Dec 29, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burn at bottom of microwave


First try cleaning the burned mark off. Dip a scrubber in lemon juice and sprinkle salt on it; this is also great for burned coffee pots. The smell can be gotten rid of this way: Boil lemon peel in water, then put the water in a spray bottle. Not only will it make your microwave smell fresh but the lemon oil will make it easier to clean. If it still smells of burning rubber, take the back off and inspect the wiring. IF you see burned wiring, please do yourself a favor and replace the microwave!

Microwaves work by making the molecules in food get "excited"-they move more-meaning, if there IS rubber burning, then there will be minute molecules of rubber in your food, which is BAD for your immune system. If it's just burned chocolate, though, it is harmless unless you are allergic.

Apr 03, 2008 | Danby DMW1400 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Burning smell , Microwave not turning off


the control circuit shorted out from the cleaning session and kept the microwave on so long with nothing to cook that it has cooked itself I'm sorry to tell you. Probably not worth repairing

Dec 27, 2007 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell from Microwave


If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Dec 27, 2007 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

4 Answers

Microwave turns, gives out strong burnt plastic smell, little (or no) heating


I would first suggest that you look inside the cooking cavity to see if your wavegudie cover is burned or carbonized. If so, it will need to be replaced. You can order one via Tritronics at http://www.wehaveparts.com The job of the waveguide cover is to protect the waveguide (opening) and the magnetron from buildup of food particles and grease. When the grease and food particles build up on and behind the cover, they will carbonize and arc - and maybe even flame up! The solution is to clean it and keep it clean - but if it's too dirty or is burned, it must be replaced. Sometimes it's necessary to remove the cover to clean both sides of it, and to clean the edges of the opening it covers. It is sometimes held in place with a small plastic rivet (or screw) and once that is removed, the cover will slide over a little then drop down. Be VERY careful not to get cut on the potentially sharp edges of the opening, and do not spray anything into the opening. Apply an alcohol-based cleaner (such as the purple kind) and /or gentle scouring powder to a cloth or paper towel and carefully wipe it out, then when it's dry, reinstall the cover and the rivet. I suggest to my customers that they NEVER use any ammonia-based cleaner (like the blue stuff) on a microwave, since the ammonia will crack and distort polycarbonate plastics. Once you remove and / or clean the cover and clean the opening of the waveguide, if it still won't heat and/or still has the smell, you may have a bad magnetron or high-voltage transformer. Feel free to post back if you still have trouble.

Dec 05, 2006 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

113 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9179 Answers

Marvin
Marvin

Level 3 Expert

85239 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

6120 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...