Question about Breville Refrigerators

1 Answer

I just got the fridge used. the water hook up has a washing machine type hook up. How do I go from that to the standard little line for refigerator?

Posted by lbrown55 on

  • 1 more comment 
  • lbrown55 Aug 02, 2009

    You are correct I did mean it's just like a hose bibb for a washing machine, do they make a reducer down to the regular 1/4 inch line for the refrigerator ?

  • lbrown55 Aug 03, 2009

    I;m sorry but the hose bibb is part of a valve that sends water out to two hoses and into the frig; so I guess what your saying is I'll have to get a washer hose and cut it off and go from there' sorry I'm not much when it comes to plumbing.

  • lbrown55 Aug 03, 2009

    Thanks for your help,you made things very clear for a big dummy like me. THANKS!



1 Answer


  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 68 Answers

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a washing machine hookup. Most washing machines hookups have two hose bibbs (faucets that a hose can screw on to), one for hot and one for cold. Refrigerators have a 1/4 inch flexible line, either copper or plastic. So, I'm assuming that you mean you have a hose bibb for the water supply and you want to connect it to the quarter inch line on the fridge.

The best approach would be to remove the hose bibb and connect to the line that is feeding it. Assuming that it is a 1/2" rigid copper pipe you can get adaptors at a plumbing store or at a store like Home Depot to step it down to 1/4", then connect to the fridge line with a compression fitting. If your hose bibb is threaded, you would start at the wall with the same size threaded connection and see what your local store has available in the line of adaptors. Best would be if you can find a single adaptor that will go from 1/2" to 1/4". You may need one to go from 1/2" to 3/8" and another to go from 3/8" to 1/4".

A second approach that would be a jury rig type of thing (say if you can't get the hose bibb off) would be to get a hose end connector to attach to the faucet and step it down with clamps and tubing. Use adaptors that fit inside tubing of successively smaller sizes (2 steps will probably do it) ending with 1/4" plastic that you can attach to your fridge with a compression union. (they make 3/8" to 1/4" compression unions, so you would only need to end with a 3/8 inch tube making the connection with the adaptor/union.

Modify this according to what you have in the house (say if you have 5/8" water lines instead of 1/2").

If I'm not understanding your problem correctly, please clarify.

Posted on Aug 02, 2009

  • 2 more comments 
  • Anonymous Aug 02, 2009

    "You are correct I did mean it's just like a hose bibb for a washing
    machine, do they make a reducer down to the regular 1/4 inch line for
    the refrigerator ?"

    No, If you want to go that route you'd have to make one the way I described. To add a little more to that in case I didn't say it clearly, you'd need to use tubing clamps, one type is called a worm gear clamp. You'll need metal adaptors that you slide into the tubing for the clamps to act against. Start with a hose end that you will attach to the hose bibb. They make those with a male end that would slide into a hose. Select a plastic tube that will fit, and clamp it on. Check the metal adaptors (with a male end on each side) to go from the size you have put onto the hose end and step down to the next size. Use a tubing clamp on each side of the adaptor. You should be able to get down to 3/8" in one step, then use 3/8 tubing as long as you need to permit you to move the fridge in and out (about 4 feet gives plenty of working room). Then use a 3/8" to 1/4" compression fitting to attach to the fridge. Make sure you use tubing designed for potable water supplies. Make sure the pieces for your make-shift adaptor fit together while you are in the store to avoid return trips.

    Clear? Or, do you have more questions?

  • Anonymous Aug 02, 2009

    One point to clarify. I mention metal connectors, these are most widely available, but they do make plastic tubing adaptors. It just depends on what your local store carries.

  • Anonymous Aug 03, 2009

    You can cut a washer hose if you want to - but it is cheaper just to buy a replacement female end for a hose. But, you have the basic idea so you should be able to pick the pieces you need in the store. As long as you start with a female hose end and end with a 1/4" fitting and get everything tight so it doesn't leak, you'll be ok. The parts can be plastic or metal, really just depending on what your local store stocks. It's just an unusual way to hook a water supply to a refrigerator, but it will work.

  • Anonymous Aug 03, 2009

    "hose bibb is part of a valve that sends water out to two hoses and into the frig"

    I can't quite visualize what you mean by this. Do you have one handle that turns water on/off for 3 hose fittings? Unusual, but it sound like someone removed the bibb for the cold water supply to the washing machine and built a manifold to feed (1) the washing machine (2) another hose (maybe going outside) and the bibb that you want to connect to the fridge.

    If that is true, you may have an additional issue. For the washing machine and the fridge, you want the water on all of the time. For the third connection, you may want a simple hose valve if for any reason you don't want pressure on that line all of the time.

    What we have discussed will work for the fridge.



Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

RE Whirlpool Mod WTW8200YW0 top load, there is always soap left on clothes in the washer no matter type and amount of detergent my wife uses. Any ideas?

Check the water suppl lines to make sure they are not hooked up backwards the rinse cycle uses cold water if the temperature sensor detects hot water it will stop power to the log valve if hooked up correctly then place unit in a rinse cycle to see if rinse valve is opening

Jan 26, 2015 | Whirlpool Washing Machines

1 Answer

How to do a cold wash on this machine?

If you intend to always use cold water go to any hardware store and get yourself a "Y" splitter for a standard water faucet. Connect this splitter to the cold water faucet on the water connection and connect both lines from the washing machine to the "Y" side of the splitter. Now you will only get cold water to both sides of you washing machine's supply lines.

Oct 18, 2014 | Whirlpool Washing Machines

1 Answer

Water hammering after disconnecting a washing machine. I have just replaced our old washing machine that took a hot and a cold feed, with a new washing machine that only takes a cold feed. I have turned...

You can use a water hammer arrestor and hook it up to old washing machine hot valve by use of a standard washer hose. This type of aresstor is basically. a shock absorber. You will needtonget pipe adapters to go from hose thread to pipe thread.If you can mount the hammer arressror higher then the washer valve. Hook everything up and turn old hot water valve back on. This shoulg take care of your problem. Thank you.

Jun 02, 2011 | Plumbing

1 Answer

What type of washer does the LG WM2277H take for the cold inlet hookup?

The water supply lines for the LG WM2277H are the same as almost all clothes washers sold in the US, which are standard garden hose threads, and use a standard garden hose washer.

Jun 17, 2009 | LG WM2277H Stainless Steel Front Load...

1 Answer

Msd2756geb water tube coming out door not hooked up?

Check diameter of pipe. Suspect its quarter inch. You will then probably need to purchase e.g. from ebay etc a 1/4'' to 3/4'' adapter which will allow you to connect your fridge pipe to a typical water pipe connector (i.e. similar connecting a washing machine), assuming you already have an available water conenction in the lcoation of the fridge!

Jun 16, 2009 | Maytag MSD2756G Side by Side Refrigerator

1 Answer

GE Profile Washing Machine wont fill with water top loader

disconnect water lines from washer and check to see if sedement from water plugged up little screen filters

Jun 11, 2009 | GE Profile WPRE6100G Top Load Washer

1 Answer

Best way to hook up the water line from washing machine fawcet...

Under the sink use the screw down clamp that you get with the fridge. Just tap in to your cold water line that is the best way.

Jan 08, 2009 | GE GSS25LGM Side by Side Refrigerator

1 Answer

Water on base of the refigerator

find the drain hole and unblock it faily easy on a fridge on the side by side more difficult need to unplug defrost it remuve the bottom panel inside in the freezeer side of the appliance to access the drain tray do nort attemt to remuve the panel while iced up dfrost is must or coud cause serious damage

Nov 13, 2008 | Frigidaire GLTF2940E Gallery 3.5 Cu. Ft....

3 Answers

How to hook up Ice & Water dispenser on freezer door

The water valve is on the back of the refrigerator. The water line connects directly to that valve. If there is no line available then you will need to run one from a cold water line in the plumbing using a drill type (1/4") saddle valve on that pipe. Hope this helps. If you need more instruction let me know!

Oct 06, 2007 | Refrigerators

Not finding what you are looking for?
Refrigerators Logo

Related Topics:

78 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Breville Refrigerators Experts

John Tripp
John Tripp

Level 3 Expert

4656 Answers


Level 3 Expert

85239 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

18402 Answers

Are you a Breville Refrigerator Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides