Question about DUI & Criminal Law

1 Answer

Can you legally talk to a different lawyer about your case if you have already hired a lawyer ?

F you hire a attorney to represent you in a criminal case and then you want a second opinion from a different attorney can you do that without any problems ? Or do you have to get permission from the attorney you have hired ? If you are having problems trusting him now ?

Posted by on

  • Anonymous Oct 18, 2018

    Yes, you can talk to another lawyer. It would be a good idea to let them know you are currently represented.

    (On the issue of talking, please remember and never forget that YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT. EXERCISE IT.)

    You can have as many lawyers as you feel you need to adequately represent you (although the judge may have a say in the matter regarding publicly appointed counsel.) Multiple attorneys may act as your co-counsel on the same legal issues, or advise you on separate legal issues or legal matter.

    Under U.S. law, attorney–client privilege is a client's right to refuse to disclose and to prevent any other person from disclosing confidential communications between the client and the attorney.The privilege is the client's, not the lawyer's. It is designed to protect the client's legal rights.

    A corollary to the attorney–client privilege is the joint defense privilege. It serves to protect the confidentiality of communications passing from one party to another party where a joint defense or strategy has been decided upon and undertaken by the parties and their respective counsel.

    An attorney speaking publicly in regard to a client's personal business and private affairs can be reprimanded or disbarred, even if he or she no longer represents the client. Discussing a client's or former client's criminal history, for example. is seen as a breach of confidentiality. So, confidential communication with your lawyer is an important and well-protected right.

    I hope this information was helpful.

  • Donna Murphy Oct 18, 2018

    Thank you for the information. My legal problems are over but I won’t be using the attorney again. I will be keeping my ears open for any confidential information that has to do with me. and my past legal history.



1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Top Expert:

    An expert who has finished #1 on the weekly Top 10 Fixya Experts Leaderboard.


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.

  • Master
  • 30,806 Answers

You hired so you can fire.

Posted on May 07, 2018


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Will an expunged DUI show up with a new job?

It depends on the laws of your country, state, or province.

Jan 04, 2017 | DUI & Criminal Law

1 Answer

Can i still join the U.S Air Force with a misdemeanor DUI?

Generally no. If the DUI is still pending some prosecutors will dismiss if they have proof that you will join the armed forces and the charge is the only thing holding you back. If already convicted, you'll need to consult an attorney to see if your state allows an expungement or something similar. Check with a recruiter too because they may make an exception. The general rule is they won't accept you with a criminal history.

Jan 04, 2017 | DUI & Criminal Law

1 Answer

How do you get a police report for a California DUI?

Go to the agency that made the arrest. The substation or main HQ, Records Department. Give it at least 3-5 days before it it is available from the day of the incident. You must be a party in the report. Depending on their policy they may charge you or give you the first copy free. Usu about 7-15 dollars. The names and addresses of individuals may be redacted (blacked-out) for liability reasons but nearly all the information you are seeking will be there. Get a lawyer. DO NOT go to court on your own or whoever this is for.

Jan 04, 2017 | DUI & Criminal Law

2 Answers

What are the penalties for an Underage DUI?

Yes, it varies by state and most definitely will loose the drivers license, probation, fines, community service, possibly classes.

Jan 04, 2017 | DUI & Criminal Law

Not finding what you are looking for?
DUI & Criminal Law Logo

Related Topics:

220 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top DUI & Criminal Law Experts

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

18165 Answers

Ismael Rodriguez...

Level 2 Expert

184 Answers


Level 2 Expert

134 Answers

Are you a DUI and Criminal Law Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides