The doors Hinges or Striker need to be adjusted to make up for the weatherstrip thickness. To do this, loosen the hinge-to-door bolts for lateral adjustment only. Loosen the hinge-to-body bolts for both lateral and vertical adjustment.
BEFORE YOU START:
- Determine which hinge bolts are to be loosened and back them out just enough to allow movement.
- To move the door safely, use a padded pry bar. When the door is in the proper position, tighten the bolts to 19-25 ft. lbs. (26-35 Nm) and check the door operation. There should be no binding or interference when the door is closed and opened.
- Door closing adjustment can also be affected by the position of the lock striker plate. Loosen the striker plate bolts and move the striker plate just enough to permit proper closing and locking of the door.
TO ADJUST ON A:
F-150, F-250, Expedition and Navigator
HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL ADJUSTMENT
- Loosen the front door hinge to front door bolts.
- Adjust the front door alignment.
- Tighten the front door hinge to front door bolts to 19-25 ft. lbs. (26-35 Nm).
FRONT DOOR FORE AND AFT ADJUSTMENT
Check the rear door hinge adjustment before adjusting the front door hinge.
1999-00 F-Super Duty Models
- Remove the front fender.
- Loosen the front door hinge to body bolts.
- Adjust the front door alignment to specification.
- Tighten the front door hinge to body bolts.
- Install the front fender.
The following procedure is for performing fore, aft, up, down and tilt adjustments.
- Remove the door striker.
- Loosen the bolts only enough to allow for slight door movement.
- Carefully close and adjust the door until flush with the adjacent body panels.
- Carefully open the door and tighten the bolts.
- Re-install and adjust the door striker.
- Check the door for proper operation and alignment.
Mark the position of the striker before loosening.
Good Luck!! A HELPFUL - 4 THUMBS - rating for this solution would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for using FixYa.
- Loosen the striker retaining bolts.
- Adjust the door striker and tighten the striker retaining bolts.