Question about American Standard Home

1 Answer

Were is the flame detector located on a american standard hot water tank.

Posted by hodogdad on


1 Answer

saul good

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    New Friend:

    An expert that has 1 follower.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 6 Answers

Hey. Not sure what model you have, but I assume you're trying to light the pilot. Remove the metal outer and inner (if applicable) cover(s) located at the bottom below the control box. with a flashlight, you should be able to locate the "thermocoupler" -that's a very thin metal tube about the thickness of cooked spaghetti. It should come from the controller and bend around a little until it ends in mid-air. That's where the pilot flame will first appear when you light it, and it should be always on, or else you will need to follow the instructions on the outside of the heater to do so. BTW: while the pilot should always be lit, the main flame (which heats the water) will only "fire" like a gas cooking range when the water in the tank starts to get cold - so don't expect to see any big flames any time you look. When you re-light the pilot, though, and turn the control dial to "hot", then you will both see and hear the flame fire up. Follow those lighting instructions VERY carefully, or the pilot won't stay lit (like, if it says to hold a button for 60 seconds, make sure you don't cheat). Good luck, hope I answered your question.

Posted on Nov 28, 2017


5 Related Answers

Jim Franks

  • 374 Answers

SOURCE: tank wont refill/how to fix

JC most commonly the ball **** will hang up on the side of the tank. Take the lid off and ensure that it is in the down position. If it is not bend the rodso the ball move away from the side of the tank. If the toilet is running continously and the tank won't fill you will need to either replace the flapper valve which is in the bottom center of the tank or adjust the chain on the flapper and handle to allow the valve to open momentarily and close once the water level reaches it and drains out the hole.If all of the above did not resolve the issue you will need to replace the ballcock valve which is the piece the water supply attaches to underneath the tank on the handle side and protrudes through the tank and has the ballcock rod attached to it. The best replacement is a Fluidmaster as they are very easy to self install and easy to adjust the water level in the tank. I hope this assists you and thanks for using Fix Ya. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Posted on Nov 10, 2008



  • 68 Answers

SOURCE: Slow and nonexistent water flow.

Start by removing the spray head from the hose. Pull the spray head out and with a channel lock pliers unthread connection between the spray head and hose. BE CAREFUL not to let the hose fall back down into the faucet. With the hose directed down toward the sink test for volume by turning on the faucet. If you get a nice volume the problem is in the spray head. This is usually the case. Put the spray head back on then remove the aerator. It's the screen where the water comes out of the spray head. Clean out the assembly ( 3-4 parts). Reassemble and test.

Good luck, Phil

Posted on Dec 11, 2008


Tony Sheppard

  • 46 Answers

SOURCE: How much draw down (tightening) do use to attach

Seat the tank well on a new wax ring and then tightnen the two bolts on the sides evenly there is a small amount of pressure but thats it. To much and you'll snap the side of the bowl. You can caulk around the edge if you want more security,less movement.

The tension on the nuts is very tricky just a feel kinda thing.

Be carefull not to over do it.

Posted on Sep 04, 2009


  • 82 Answers

SOURCE: I have an american standard single control faucet.

Chances are your supply line is leaking. One of three things (easy fixes).
1) There is a "packing nut" on the shut off which holds the handle on - this could be leaking (just tighten with pliers while open).
2) There is a nut directly above the shut off (3/8 inch) which goes directly to the faucet. Simply thighten this nut.
3) There is yet another nut above the last (very near the faucet). This is a 5/8 nut and you will most likely need a "crescent wrench" to tighten this as you cannot get pliers up there. You can purchase a crescent wrench at any hardware store for about 10 bucks. Good luck!

Posted on Dec 30, 2009

Larry Maranto

  • 198 Answers

SOURCE: problem: water tank running water and refilling itself

probably the flapper valve is not seating correctly over the outlet. you can fix it by reaching in and twisting the valve one way or the other till it seats properly and the leak will stop.

Posted on May 09, 2010

Add Your Answer


Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

American Standard Edgewater Single handle pull out faucet. Hot water pressure trickles.

mixing valve and ceramic washers are defective. American Standard is not what it used to be. Parts are substandard and imported from china. Get yourself a Glacier Bay, and contact American Standard and demand your money back or a credit.

Sep 23, 2018 | American Standard Plumbing

1 Answer

I have a John Wood one pipe power vented hot water heater. The model number is Jw840nvh-fv-04. Recently I've been smelling products of combustion coming out the top of the tank where the vent is

1) Copy following link for troubleshoot resources by type of gas control valve, Venting resources, and pro water heater forum:

2) This odor can indicate incomplete combustion due to lack of air supply. Get more fresh air to unit. Check that flame is clear blue color. John Wood is American/AO Smith product so air intake screen is located on bottom of unit. Use mirror and flashlight to inspect. Clean with compressed air ad or feather duster.

3) Jw840nvh is 40 gallon natural gas. Natural gas is lighter than air and rises upward, unlike propane gas that is heavier than air. Install gas detector at height correct for type of gas.

4) For safety, install CO carbon monoxide detector

5) Review product manual for correct vent lengths and diameters.

If you need further help, I’m available over the phone at

Feb 02, 2013 | Water Heaters

1 Answer

Is the American Standard G50T 2-3-6 a good water heater? I have trying to find stuff about them on Google but I keep getting results for american water heaters not american Standard and the reviews are not...

Generally, they are a your normal low end hot water heater. I have seen American Standard units last up to 20 years (like mine) with not problems, and I have seen them not last three years before the tank ruptured.

We have more calls on the Rheem and Brandford Whites than American Standards as far an minor problems.

Pros: Cheap; reasonably reliable; parts readily available.
Cons: Not energy efficient; tank quality - flexible.

When mine goes would I replace it with another American Standard? No, I would install the Bosch tankless water heater.

Jun 24, 2011 | American Standard AMERICAN STD 100 Prop...

1 Answer

My plumber refers to the gas hot water heater that he wants to install as a "Standard" water heater. Do you think he means "American Standard"? Mac

i think since "tankless" water htrs entered the market...your plumber referring to a standard w/h means a storage tank wtr htr(stores 40 or more gals) ..most popular brands are a o smith rheem bradford white

Nov 28, 2010 | American Standard 40 G Natural Gas Water...

1 Answer

When we start to use hot water and the hot water heater heats up,there is a loud moaning sound coming from the hot water heater. It has made the sound since installation, but lately it seems to be getting...

Tank Water Heaters need to be flushed now and gain to get rid of MINERAL buildup. At the bottom is a water valve where you can attach a hose. Run the hose out doors and then open the valve to allow the water to flow freely.
That was easy. When water heats up, especially where the elements or gas flame are close to the heater bottom area, it may crackle or pop, but that is only expansion and contraction which is normal. Just watch to see if any water drips onto the floor which is a sign that the wall has been breached and the heater needs to be replaced.

Feb 20, 2018 | American Standard Water Heaters

1 Answer

Not enough hot water in the shower even if I turn the handle all

Your valve has an anti-scald feature which automatically adjusts the water temp if cold water is diverted to another location, e.g., a flushed toilet, washing machine filling, etc. Most valves have an adjustment screw to allow you to set the temp. Since each manufacturer is different you'll need the manual or contact the manufacturers support. BTW, these anti-scald valves are being added to building codes in many parts of the U.S.

Mar 07, 2010 | American Standard Cambridge 5' Americast...

1 Answer

All of a sudden, no hot water. No red light....what to do? Already checked the breaker.

Bottom heating unit is probably burned out from overheating due to sediment in bottom of tank.

Feb 26, 2010 | AMERICAN STANDARD Electric Water Heater

1 Answer

Hey my burner won't stay lit, it switches off after igniting

If it comes on and runs but will not continue to run, I would be looking at the flame detector. If the detector is faulty, doesn't see the flame, the unit things there is no flame and closes the valve.

Dec 25, 2009 | American Standard 40 G Natural Gas Water...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Home Logo

Related Topics:

33 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top American Standard Home Experts


Level 3 Expert

4369 Answers

john h

Level 3 Expert

23438 Answers

Bill Johnson

Level 2 Expert

306 Answers

Are you an American Standard Home Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides