Question about Kohler Electrical Supplies
Kohler marine generator 6ef
OC stands for Over Crank. How long does it take before the genset starts?
Posted on May 07, 2009
Can't search for a manual without model, type, serial, etc numbers...
A few things to take a look at:
1) Oil level / pressure sending unit. This is normally bypassed as long as the start switch is pressed. When engine starts, and switch is released, engine will die if sending unit is defective, or you are low on oil.
2) Exhaust temperature sensors. Older units were notorious for burning these up.
3) Cooling Water Temperature sensor. These cause trouble often, but mostly due to water pump impeller being eaten away by galvanic action and not able to pump water as effecively. End result is water temp higher than normal, which trips the switch, which kills the engine.
4) Alternator (generator) output not as it should. If output doesn't rise to proper level within a few seconds of engine start, the engine will be shut down.
5) Choke not working as it should
6) Bad fuel, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter.
Posted on Jun 12, 2010
Double check your grounds at both the frame and the battery. Otherwise, your starter probably has a shorted field.
Posted on Jun 30, 2010
Testimonial: "thanks...will check frame ground"
SOURCE: I have a kohler 5E
I have the same genset. Just fixed a similar prob with it. Mine would intermittently blow fuses at first then started blowing them as soon as trying to start. I also saw a puff of smoke from reg when it did run at one point. Carefully check stator wires for shorts to ground. Make sure to lift the stator wires that are grounded in control box. If no grounds replace control board and reg board. $400+. Cross your fingers and try it. Mine worked, thank God. The pc boards are marginally designed and built. The relays, diodes and other componants are way too undersized for the application and can not survive a lot of cycling
on and off. When starting genset make sure to slowly apply loads to it. Same thing when shutting it down. Dont shut it down with any load. It wont take it
Posted on Jun 16, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 15, 2018 | Kohler Electrical Supplies
Sep 13, 2013 | Kohler Electrical Supplies
Sep 11, 2013 | Kohler Electrical Supplies
Sep 11, 2013 | Kohler Limited Edition Marine Generator 2...
Jun 06, 2012 | Kohler Electrical Supplies
May 02, 2012 | Electrical Supplies
Oct 31, 2011 | Kohler 12 kW Emergency Power System -...
Apr 20, 2009 | Electrical Supplies
Apr 13, 2018 | Kohler Electrical Supplies
82 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!