Question about Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven
Manufacturers will note that they warn in their owner manuals to never leave a microwave running unattended, so they won't help you any further, I'm sure.
Mmost modern microwaves have a flame sensor inside that will shut the microwave down completely in case flames get too high.
Then the cooling fan and power will shut off, and the fire will almost certainly be smothered pretty quickly due to a lack of air inside the oven.
Also, the inside is metal, thus the only fuel for the fire would have been the potato, which would not have lasted long.
So as scary and disturbing as this event was, I would say the real danger of a fire outside of the oven was miniscule.
The fire probably occured due to a dry or irregular spot in the skin of the potato. Once it's dry, it will of course burn much easier.
So now to the smell...
You should do a Google search on "odor microwave" or "microwave smell" where you can find tips on boiling water & baking soda, then vinegar and water in the microwave to neutralize the smell.
If your microwave does not work, then it may have blown the flame sensor (thermal fuse) and that would have to be replaced.
Please let us know if we can help further.
Posted on Nov 18, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 16, 2014 | Samsung 1.8 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range...
Apr 02, 2014 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens
Oct 27, 2017 | Emerson MWG9111SL Microwave Oven With...
Apr 24, 2012 | GE Microwave Ovens
Sep 18, 2011 | Samsung 1.8 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range...
Jan 28, 2011 | Amana MVH210W Microwave Oven
Nov 06, 2009 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven
Jun 07, 2009 | Frigidaire FMT116E1B Microwave Oven
Dec 30, 2017 | Frigidaire PLMV169DC Microwave Oven
Nov 08, 2008 | Panasonic NN-T990SA Microwave Oven
Jun 04, 2017 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven
430 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: