Question about Vehicle Parts & Accessories
SOURCE: Escort, passport 8500
I had the same problem with mine and here's how I fixed it.
1) hold down both top buttons while the unit is on and it will display the problem in a code. Mine said CAL1 ERR which is a calibration startup error. This usually means there is a fluctuation in the iniial start up voltage.
2) ONLY IF your unit, like mine, was out of tthe warranty period should you atempt this because it will void your warranty. Open the unit removing the three screws at the bottom. Carefully pull the two halves of he unit apart and remove the circuit board.
3) turning the board upside down you will notice the mechanical workings of the rotary switch. In my case the spring loaded portion of the contacts was sticking and not making full contact.
4) Use two small pocket knives, one to CAREFULLY pry the contact away fro the switch and the other to insert a SMALL amount of dielectric grease where the contact attaches to the switch. Make sure to spread it out as much as possible.
5) Use the dial portion of the switch to turn the switch on and off fully (all the way on and all the way off until it clicks) several times to ensure full coverage of the grease.
6) Reassemble the unit plug it in and it should start up like the day you bought it. If not try repeating the steps above.
Also: I noticed a considerable difference in the way my switch operated after I completed this. It felt alo smoother and seated better when in the of position (that clicking noise you hear when you turn it off)
Hope this helped...
Posted on Mar 13, 2009
SOURCE: I have a passport excort
Are you getting any Self Calibration or Service Required error messages? If not, then this means that the basic electronics are good and that the problem is within the antenna. If your X50 is in warranty then Escort will repair the antenna for free. If not, then there will be a service fee ($80). Yet I can all but guarantee you that after Escort fixes the antenna problem then you will never have this problem again.The service fee also includes fully testing and calibrating your X50, and updating its internal computer firmware code to their latest code. So the end result is that your X50 will perform just like a brand new one.
Posted on Mar 17, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 14, 2013 | Passport 8500 X50 Radar Detector
Jan 12, 2018 | Passport 8500 X50 Radar Detector
Dec 09, 2017 | Passport 8500 X50 Radar Detector
Dec 15, 2009 | Passport 8500 Radar Detector
Apr 11, 2009 | Passport 8500 Radar Detector
Mar 20, 2009 | Passport 8500 X50 Radar Detector
Jan 25, 2009 | Passport 8500 X50 Radar Detector
Jan 12, 2009 | Passport 8500 Radar Detector
177 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!